Thread: Got my metal carport

Got my metal carport

This all started over 2 years ago when I got the fill dirt. After a lot of fussing around the last couple months to get it level enough, I got my carport installed yesterday. It's an American Steel Carport (they are in Pioneer, Ohio). I got an 18'Wx26'Lx6'H sides (the inside height is over 9') for $887 including tax and installation. It only took 2 guys a little over an hour to install it. It's high enough that I can go in and out with the tractor with the roll bar up, even at the edges. The long term plan is still to move it and use it for implement storage and build a pole barn on the site where is now. In the mean time, it will be a carport for my pickup. No more scraping ice off the windows in the morning!

Re: Got my metal carport

Side view.

That looks real similar to the ones Walmart uses up here for their carts. Real well made and heavy duty. That's not a bad price. Was it available with the acrylic roof. Would make a great greenhouse.
    Argee [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Agree - Actually, it only looks like the Walmart ones from a distance. A closer look reveals that the Walmart ones are not near as well built. The frames on the Walmart ones are not near as strong, the roof panels are not continuous, so they would surely leak at the seams, and they don't have the trim. I also priced them and they cost $769 for a 12'Wx20'L and I'd have to install it myself. The American Steel ones have an 18'Wx21L with trim for $695 and that price includes installation. As far as I know, they are all steel. You can call them at 800 871-4057 to find out if they have other types of roofs.

I've seen that exact same type of carport around here for the past couple of years. There are several set up as display models for people who sell them. I believe these guys are pricing somewhere around $995.00. I don't know if that includes assembly.

So far, I haven't noticed anyone knocking the snow off them in the winter, but we haven't had real bad winters either. They seem to hold up pretty good.

SHF

Just a word of warning to anyone planning on getting one of these. If you put it up oriented so wind blowing in the "front to rear" direction is common, be sure and get the gable ends! Fortunately for me, the wind doesn't blow in that direction very often, but when it does the high open end is a problem and freezing rain/snow will get on the windshield.