Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: New siding advise

Re: New siding advise/just received estimate

Thank you Dan. I am in the process of bidding for another position at the moment so the siding is on hold anyhow. Still waiting to hear from the Mennonite and I think they will build to my specs.
    Bayrat

I'm late to this thread too, but for comparison sake, here are the details on my vinyl job done last summer: white Alcoa Liberty Elite; dark green Alcoa aluminum soffit, fascia and a few window wraps; light green foam board under siding; about 33 squares of siding needed - Total cost of siding, soffit, fascia, foam board, etc materials and installation: $16,900. I could have chosen a smaller outfit to do it, but I was concerned about quality of installation, so I chose not to go the cheapest route.

A few thoughts: Do NOT get sucked in by these salesmen knocking $x off if you sign now. That is crap. A guy tried to pull that with me and his "discounted" price was almost $25,000! I told him to beat it. Even the guys I went with originally came in at almost $20k. After some talking and seeing that they were interested in doing my place, I got them to call the owner and see what the absolute best was that he could do. If they aren't willing to budge, tell them you'll think about it. Then call them a week or so later and see if they are willing to negotiate.

By the way, it was all put over my 100+ year old dutchlap siding. You really don't want to take the old stuff off, especially if you don't have any insulation in the walls. The wood provides an R value. Even if you want to put insulation in there, just get cellulose blown in from the outside. That's what we did after I tore off all the old aluminum and before they started the siding. We're seeing energy savings already...

I'd be happy to answer questions if you have any.

- Gerald

Once I get back into the estimate/contractor mode, I will be asking all kinds of questions, for now the job situation and the three feet of snow here are occupying the mind. The job for obvious reasons and the snow for tractor time [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] .
    Bayrat

Thank you Gerald. I will post questions as soon as I can get back into that project. Too much else happening right now. Took me four hours to clear driveway and road to barn from the snow that feel since last Wednesday night. I plowed when I arrived home from work and skipped Thursday due to the late hour of my return home, what a mess by Friday night [img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] . Worked [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] with the truck and the tractor at length to allow for two wheel drive traffic again.
    Bayrat