Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: More old trucks

More old trucks

Okay, so I have a 57 Dodge truck in the garage in running (but sorry) condition. Nice sheet metal, but rusty and patched frame. And a 55 Dodge parts truck next to it with nasty sheet metal but a great frame. The idea was to blend them into a single truck, but that is SO much work! Besides, it is becoming increasingly difficult to find certain parts for those old flathead sixes.

So now, for the same price, I can choose from a 57 Dodge pickup with an immaculate frame and body (cracked exhaust manifold and needs new master and wheel cylinders), a 315 V8 poly with a push button auto, or a 55 Dodge that runs and drives well, needs only minor cosmetic repairs, and has the very rare 241 hemi linked to a 3-speed manual tranny. I really want that hemi, but I love the 57 body style!

But if I get either truck, that will make three old trucks in the garage and the front half of a schoolbus in the side yard. Am I seeing a pattern here..? [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

Pete

Re: More old trucks

Ya gotta learn to weld faster! [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

SHF

<font color="blue"> "Am I seeing a pattern here..?" </font color>

Pete, I'm sure your wife is... [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Pete:

You have the bug. Old vehicles are traps that can leap from nowhere and ensnare you forever.

Get ready to spend a lot of shop time. Heck, you may as well put a coffee pot and cot in the shop too.

Egon

Definitely a bug, and you've got it Pete! I do like your choice of vehicle... unique, somewhat out of the ordinary. I like to see the larger, commercial vintage vehicles restored as you just don't see them that much. How 'bout a '57 Dodge semi-tractor pulling a period gooseneck trailer with one of your pickups on the deck. Could also lug around your tractor and all those other vehicles and implements you will be collecting.

Whatever you do, have fun with it [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    Rob

Cambridge, New York in beautiful Washington County, next to Vermont

Pete, I wouldn't worry about the pattern. Your wife started the whole thing, so, she can't complain about your collection. I'd like to have a vintage pickup, too, but that's way down the road.

And too bad you only have the front half of the schollbus. The back half would make a great shelter for sheep!
    Rich
    "What a long strange trip it's been."

your hooked. enjoy!
    Paul Bradway

We actually had the option of getting the entire bus, but had no way of getting it home. It would have made a great livestock hauler, or even a portable chicken coop if we didn't want to spend anything to get it running. In the end, we decided to take just the front, to fill it with potting soil, and plant potatoes in it.

Pete

Cambridge, New York in beautiful Washington County, next to Vermont

Yeah, Pete, that's always the problem, transporting these things! I've found several 40 foot tractor trailers that I wanted to use to store hay, but I've got no way to transport them! That's why these things can go so cheap![img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img]
    Rich
    "What a long strange trip it's been."

Two and a half trucks

Well, we won the Ebay auction and will soon have another 57 Dodge in the garage resting till the snow melts. I'm a mix of wonder and terror at the mechanical tasks in front of me! [img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

Pete