Thread: Beaver

Beaver

We just discovered that a guest has decided to make himself a resident in our pond, which is fed by a creek. Although he is kinda cute and humorous, his eating habits leave something to be desired, and he is totally unmindful of the master landscaping plan. So we would like to encourage him on his way.

So what method do you folks recommend for encouraging a beaver to vacate? A rifle, a trap???

I read on one naturalist site that if an environment is suitable enough for one beaver to occupy, eliminating him will just be temporary .... because another is bound to come along to take his place. They suggested just getting used to nim being there, and protect those trees that we really want to keep.

What are your insights?

Re: Beaver

Get a live trap and release him/her in some distant watercourse.

243 with 85 grain hollowpoint boattail works well too.

Egon

Might want to read through this site before you decide on any options. beavers

Interestingly, that is THE very site which I was referring to..... [img]/forums/images/icons/ooo.gif[/img]

Pelt prices vary (your not a card totin' member of PETA are you?) and ... I like Egon's approach but I don't have a 243 (22-250 will get the job done with round remaining supersonic well over 100 yds away so they don't hear it coming).

I have live trapped lots of coons and deported them 5 miles away across the river figuring they don't come back. I trap the beaver and being such a sensitive guy about animal products like leather and such that I just hang their cold lifeless bodies on the bottom strand of the nearest fence and let the coyotes have them.

Just today I was moving several logs in excess of 12-14 inches in diameter from trees felled (or just girdled and killed) by beaver. I don't have that many nice trees left and would shoot the darned rodents any chance I got and set traps to work while I sleep. I have had some collalteral damage.. last year I killed two armadillos with beaver traps. That is another pest I realy don't need.

If you choose to protect the trees against beaver damage rather than elliminate the problem at the source, you have a couple good alternatives. Tanglefoot is a commercial bird foiling preparation that is eco/bio-safe non toxic and can be "painted" on tree trunks from the ground to about 4 ft. Beaver don't like to chew on trees with a heavy coating of this goop. It isn't cheap but you don't hurt the cute little furry cast members of anyone's Disney fantasy world.

Galvanized sheet metal cylinders, 4 ft or more in height, around the trees but at least a foot larger in diameter than the trunk to avoid summer over heating. A few sheet metal screws will hold it on and allow for temp removal to remove debris should it be desired. This second method will work fine and is more cost effective than the "Tanglefoot" but isn't pretty. The tanglefoot is not nearly so unsightly.

Best of luck dealing with the pernicious rodents.
    \
    Oh, by the way... NEVER NEVER NEVER handle a live wild beaver!!!!

Patrick
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Pat, I wouldn't mind having a beaver pelt hat myself. Alas, my wife still has hopes of being a Disney Girl so I will probably go the Tanglefoot route and maintain domestic calm. Thanks for the good insight. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

If you saw the size of the stumps that used to be trees (some in excess of 30 inch in diameter) and how few large trees (greater than 12 inch diameter) we have left, you'd probably be as thrilled with the beaver as I am.

In addition to tanglefoot or sheet metal, there is 3 T posts and a wrap of barbed wire.

Patrick
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"