Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tool bar

Re: Tool bar

Gary:

I sure would like several more but as I do not weld [ yet have looked after welders for many-many hours ] they will not be forthcomming.

The one you see on the tool bar is actually held on by a bolt that goes through two pieces of angle iron welded to the vertical. A neighbor back in Alberta welded it for me.

Egon

Egon, I didn't know how to weld, either, so I took a welding class. I learned a lot and had a great time doing it. Now I wish I had more class time to go as I'm into the "projects" stage. Unfortunately, it ends Monday night. I already completed the final for the class (got an "A" to boot [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] ), so after that we could work on whatever we wanted. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

You might want to check into taking a class like that. I genuinely enjoyed mine and am going to take another next semester. I took ARC Welding this semester so I'm going to take MIG Welding next time around.

Gary:
    I'm a clutshe; not very good at anything.

When I think of welding It's always in a class B format from where I come from. These fellows have to pass a yearly test and are profiencient beyond my dreams. They also have the privlage to get there welds Xrayed.

There is no way I can achieve their ability. Fortunetly here I have found a local welder who is very compentant and costs less than owning my own equipment.

Egon

Egon,

I can actually get almost all of my welding done for "free" but just wanted to learn how to do it myself. I have a welder and guys who work for me who weld so I don't have much in the line of a directly attributible expense to weld on a hook or a banjo eye so I'm sure not saving any money this way. Early on I'm sure I'll not get as nice a looking weld all the time, either. I just thought it would be neat skill to learn. [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Gary:

I wouldn't mind knowing how either but I'd never trust my weld as I'm not really good at doing things like that. Lack the patience and steady hand required to be proficient.

Always have the thought of an xray lurking in the back of my mind and know the weld will not meet the specs.

Egon

While I sure won't ever say my welds would stand up to an x-ray examination, I'm going to trust them. Virtually all of my early projects are pretty crucial. too. I'm adding hooks to my loader bucket and backhoe. I'm adding a D-ring to my tilt bed car hauler so I can hook to it and use a snatch block to double the capacity of my 8000# winch when I need it. I'm also welding the 2" receiver tube for that winch to a platform then welding that platform to the front of the trailer. If anything, I'll probably be guilty of overkill with extra welds and gussets until I get some more experience. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Better safe than sorry, though. [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

[img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] The welding thing is often dificult as there are so few items to weld that "don't matter" from a strength standpoint, so where do you practice? My Dad was an ace welder and as a farm kid I had few opportunities to learn welding because most repair jobs were critical; we didn't have a second helmet; and money for rod and electricity for me to waste while I practiced. I finally learned welding in High School, and went on to gain considerable expertise, especially in pipeline welding....you know, where you weld the upside down part as well as the top part.....[img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img].....I've taught lots of guys to weld, and actually had more success with employees who had never welded than I did with those who thought they could. Like so many things, it's technique-rod-heat- and practice, practice, practice. I recently helped a local grower harvest corn and beans, and when we needed to make a repair he rolled out the stick welder and shunned the little wire feed welder in his shop which was almost four years old and HAD NEVER WELDED WORTH CRAP. I tweaked a few things and corrected some assembly errors and what do you know? It welded perfectly! So many times, bad or improperly setup equipment discourages guys who would like to weld by producing poor jobs. [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img] Welding isn't for everyone, but it's handy to have. But as was mentioned, how do you practice on really critical stuff? [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
    CJDave

Dave,

I hope I've 'practiced' during my class and am now actually welding rather than practicing. Time will tell, of course, but I'm comfortable welding what I'm welding now. I know it'll be strong enough and I'm about the only one I need to satisfy so far as appearance goes. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Gary, I've always kept in my mind that I was "sewing" the seam together, and as such I made sure to move my rod....or wire....and connect to both pieces, not just run down the middle. You got to bear down and get that weld into both pieces with enough heat to burn in. Do that, and you'll usually be fine. [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] And.....don't forget to make "cross-section"....that is be sure that you build a thick weld on the first pass so it is as strong as the parent material. [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
    CJDave