Thread: How tight should stove pipe fit stove?

How tight should stove pipe fit stove?

How tightly should the stovepipe fit into the stove?

I can see "daylight" if I look from the top of the stove where the stovepipe mates to it.

It doesn't smoke into the room or anything, but it is a little disconcerting to be able to view the fire [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

Solutions? [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

PS the stove runs great. Room is cozy w/o being hot. Glad I went with the small size. Thanks for all the advise!

Now if I could just get the firewood to stay dry, the dogs keep pulling the tarp off so they can chew the wood! I told the wife it was time to build a timerframe wood shed. She rolled her eyes and said whatever makes you happy! [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
    Hazmat

Re: How tight should stove pipe fit stove?

That daylight you see is normal. If I have flame going up into the chimney (my wood stove), I can also see it at the connections if the room is dark. But as long as there is a good draft, the smoke goes up and out the top. The pipe connections are just pushed together, but they are not sealed. The female faces up, and the male faces down. That way no creosote or rain can run down the inside of the pipe and come out at the connectors (such as is the case if the connectors are put together wrong). Have fun with your stove. Any pic?

Re: How tight should stove pipe fit stove?

Thanks for the reassurance. I didn't really know how to get a better seal as they are just pushed together. When they installed the stove, the "expert" showed up & installed the T section thru the wall. He then left to another job and the "boys" did the rest.

I snapped a couple pics, but need to get the film developed so I can scan them in. I've given up on the cheap digital camera for inside pics as it has no flash.
    Hazmat