Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Firewood harvest schedule?

Re: Firewood harvest schedule?

I try to do as little splitting as possible. If I can get it in the woodburner door, I don't split it. I try to save the big ones for overnight or when we are both working the same shift & noone will be home for better than 8 hrs. Without being split it doesn't dry out as fast. But I find that what I cut up this spring is usually ready to use in the winter. If I run into some that starts sizzle when burning I know to stay away from that wood for awhile.

Shouldn't burn any wood unless it's at least 2-yrs. off the stump. I like mine 3-yrs. I cut it off the stump in fall just after all the leaves have gone, let it set tree length for 2 1/2 yrs. cut and split in the spring of third yr. and use in the fall of that yr. Gives out the most heat and the least creosote.

David

Well Santa didn't come thru with the saw [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img] , But my birthday is next week, so we'll see. Still haven't cut any new wood yet, the painting & floors are still taking up the majority of my time. I'd need to strap on my snowshoes at this point as we have 2 feet of snow on the ground now!

I'm considering buying wood in log form early this spring, then I'll cut it & split it myself to save some $$$ Haven't priced it out yet to know if it is worth my time. A seasoned cut & split cord is going for $165 +/- in my area.
    Hazmat

Here in Michigan, I cut in fall and winter, split in spring, and use the following fall. We rarely stack it, just throw it in a heap and let dry. Cover in late fall when rain and snow become regular. We've done this for wood which we burn and sell, with no complaints for over 20 years. Last fall we had 100 face cords in a heap and it was plenty dry. Most wood will lose alot of weight, get a lot more bugs, and grow fungus after the first year, in my opinion. I sell wood to picky people in town for thier fireplaces, and they do not like bugs, loose bark, or fungus.