Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tool Storage

Re: Tool Storage

I forgot to add that whatever I find has to be completely portable. I need to be able to grab the whoozit "carrier" and go. The rentals we manage make my tool/parts choices interesting at times as I have to think ahead about what I may need. It also means I have a small inventory of parts to manage for those "after 6 on a sunday" times when everything is closed. Ah well, I get home remodeling practice on a grand scale. [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

<font color="blue"> bucket stacker trays </font color>

Yeah, I've got one bucket full of those things. Only two words for them... kids and dirt. Kids knocked the thing over once and I was infuriated, then I left it next to my drill press while running a large forstner bit and the whole thing filled up with wood chips. I was equally unimpressed with my own error. Haven't bought any more since [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    Rob

I only have 2-3 of the trays... I bought them as an experiment and found they don't hold enough fittings for the number I have. I'm in a bit of a dilemma, (just a minor one in the grand scheme but hey....) I hate to leave any fittings at home as those would be exactly the ones I'd need, Mr Murphy and all, But I would need something so large to carry them, I'd be just as well off to buy a moving van and build a shop in there. That's obivously a tad extreme, but I need somthing better than what I have now, which is 3-4 cardboard boxes and various paper bags, etc.

I spent fifteen years on a heavy equipment repair truck, so I know that if you carried every possible thing that you needed, you'd have to have a forty foot semi trailer hooked on behind the service truck. [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] Sometimes here at home on our Iowa farmhouse rebuild project I need quite an assortment of electrical fittings, and so to "manage" my inventory, I just dropped 12 cottage cheese tubs....quart size.....into a nice cardboard box that perfectly matched the 4 X 3 tub arrangement, and it's a huge help when I need to quickly nab various fittings. It's crude, and kind of rinky-dink compared to what I'm used to but it works great and is also easy to toss in a vehicle for "off site" work. [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] Otherwise I use "dedicated" toolboxes for A/C work; for technical electrical work, for sweat soldering copper pipe, and so forth. [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
    CJDave

Scott, have you tried the clear plastic flip-top totes I mentioned earlier. I'm developing a real fondness for them. They're clear (almost), so you can see what's in them, they stack, the lids stay with them, they're just the right size to carry and even full they're not too heavy. All that's missing is a divider system inside. Maybe some of that plastic corrugated stuff cut to size? Hmmm [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    Rob

I guess I should clarify what I mean. I usually know what type of pipe I'm dealing with and grab the the PVC box for example, I'd like to have the fittings sorted by type and size, but I've never found a box to do that in volume. The organizer designers think you have 5 fittings each, I have a dozen or more of each... [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] Somthing like a plastic shipping tote would be fine if there were trays or dividers and it wouldn't spill. Not sure what to do with my sink drain pipe collection but at least the pieces are big.

Got any pics of the containers you mention?