Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how do you prepare your standing rib

how do you prepare your standing rib

Hey all you chefs,
    How do you do your standing rib..(prime rib) Ive always seasoned it. Put some celery greens alittle onion, garlic cloves and about a cup of water for 8lbs worth of meat and roast in the oven. I like it medium rare. I use to cook in at the Canandaugia Yaht Club for 2 years and thats how we did it on friday and saturday nights prime rib special. Thats the way i always do mine now. I was interested in some other ideas. Its almost Christmas eve and i gotta have a new plan or revert to my old faithfull
    Thanks Larry

Re: how do you prepare your standing rib

I will do pretty much the same as you - salt, pepper, a little olive oil, and carrots, celery, and onion in the roasting pan for flavoring the gravy. Only difference is I'll probably use wine instead of water. I like mine very rare.

The prime rib is a quite a tasty bit of meat - over seasoning would be a shame. Otherwise, say for other cuts of beef, pork, and lamb, I make a paste out of garlic, salt and rosemary with a morter and pestle. Rub that all over and drizzle with olive oil.

I like the wine idea instead of water. And yes do not over season. Your right Prime Rib is a very tastey cut. We use to use alot of wine in cooking where i worked. Sauted Chicken Livers was a big wine user Veal also.
    Thanks for the tip, Larry

I think the only issue with wine is that it will evaporate more quickly than water. I'll check on it while cooking and add a glass of water if need be.

My father taught me his Tuscan method for chicken livers: saute in olive oil with a little salt and pepper. Then add a large handful of freshly chopped sage and fry a minute more. Personally, it doesn't matter to me how chicken liver is prepared - I love it. I remember as a child, when we bought a chicken at the supermarket, everything was included (liver, neck). My dad would grill the chicken, including the liver and the neck which I shared with my sister while we waited for supper.

I couple weeks ago I tried a recipe from Cooks Illustrated magazine that turned out really well. I quartered two onions and roasted them with some meaty soup bones (the recipe actually calls for oxtails, but I couldn't find any) at 450 for about half an hour. While those were roasting, I cut the roast off the bones, rubbed it with salt and pepper, and seared the surfaces that WEREN'T attached to the bones in a skillet on the stovetop. Then I reduced the heat to 250, tied the bones back onto the roast, and put the roast in with the onions and soup bones (yes, NO liquid; the soup bones released enough fat to cover the bottom of the pan). Roasted for about 2 and 1/2 hours at 250 (this was only about a 5 lb. roast)(use a meat thermometer). After taking the roast out, I dipped out most of the melted fat, put the pan on the stovetop, poured in some beef and chicken stock and red wine, and reduced it for a very tasty jus (I actually used some of the dipped out beef fat and made a traditional English Yorkshire pudding, which we decided wasn't really worth the trouble). This was probably the best roast I've ever made.

A new development...

My father recently started working as general manager for a very large restaurant (1800 seats). The specialty is roast beef. I was thinking about where to get my meat from for this party (see the "Turkey or Beef?" thread). There's a very good butcher near my home, the supermarket, or the restaurant. I was afraid that it may have been too costly from the restaurant but I inquired anyway. Glad I did, 110$ for a full, 7-rib roast, and it's aged Black Angus beef.

My father spoke to the chef for me and found out how to prepare it. He said to do something I've done with pork before, but not with beef. That is to rub the entire roast with not only salt and pepper but some hot, English mustard. I've eaten the roast beef at this restaurant before and not tasted this particular ingredient.

So you did go with the restaurant angus? I have had great luck from Wegmans. its usally 5.99-6.99 per pound for standing rib. 8 lbs feeds our familey real well. Ive never heard of the mustard spread, but sounds good. Thanks for the tip. Larry

Yes, I picked it up last night. It was more than what I was told, because they ordered me a larger piece. It's 9.5 Kg or 21 pounds. I paid 156$, so about 7.50$ (Canadian dollars) per pound. That's a bit more expensive than the local butcher, but this is certified Canadian Angus that has been aged 21 days. It's Christmas, so being a bit frivolous is ok for me. This is the most expensive piece of meat I've ever bought. My wife was laughing at me yesrterday becasue I was carrying it like it was a baby.

My wife was laughing at me yesrterday becasue I was carrying it like it was a baby.

Women just don't seem to understand .. do they ? [img]/forums/images/icons/smirk.gif[/img]

Hey all you rib eaters,
    My Standing rib was exellent! I cooked it like i allways do. [img]/forums/images/icons/smirk.gif[/img] 8lb'er in a cast roating pan in the oven with celry leaves and staulks, onion about 2 cups of water about cup of white wine, At 425 degrees for about 1-1/2. Drain it off a bit in a sause pan and put a few whole mushrooms in. Then put back in oven. Mean while getting ready some stuffed mushrooms and shrimp scampi ready to broil. Boiled some of the tiger shrimp and put on ice to have with cocktail sause and Bully Hill wine right before dinner..Mmmm good. 15 or so minutes later pull the meat and put mushrooms and shrimp under the broiler. Slice rib put in roater and put in bottom of the oven untill shrimp is done...5 minutes or so. Serve it all up. Of course you got your tossed salad on the table and its all set too. The inlaws Loved the meal as allways, just not as much as me [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] All that aside..i love cooking and eating good food [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Thanks for the tips CBN'ers but i went with my old method that never fails. As long as its a nice cut of rib [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
    Larry