Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Replacing wooden bridge

Cambridge, New York in beautiful Washington County, next to Vermont

Replacing wooden bridge

One of the driveways on our property has a wooden bridge going over a creek. The deck is composed of three inch thick hemlock planks. Some of the planks are rotting, and it's time to replace them, but we don't want to have to do this every few years. We'd like to replace the wood with metal. My wife has checked out diamond plate, which is do-able but expensive. Does anyone have any other ideas? The bridge is roughly 18 feet long by 18 feet wide.

Thanks!!
    Rich
    "What a long strange trip it's been."

Re: Replacing wooden bridge

I would not go diamond plate. It would be a little slick, and VARY heavy to move. When was the last time you replaced the planks? I would think some thick hardwood would last a good long time. I know there are a few small saw mills around. I would think some nice thick oak would last a long time with some sealer. Plus wood is just nicer to work with, and just feels better under foot.
    Paul Bradway

What is the construction under the 3" hemlock? Do you think the steel will last longer than wood?
    Wood will warp some when first laid down, so keeping it loose so the planks can be turned periodically would, I think, be best. White oak would be a good choice. I suspect hemlock was used because it was cheapest and maybe didn't warp as much. The support for the wood deck is important to the amount of warp that will occur in the wood plank. Spray treatments of water repellant preservatives will prolong the life of the wood planks, especially if white oak is not used. But, as stated already, wood will be a better choice than steel (IMO).

The bridge was there when we moved in 2 years ago, but I don't think the planks are more than 3 or 4 years old, maybe less. They rot quickly, because of all the moisture from the creek. All the research I've done does tell me that hemlock is best because it doesn't warp, is strong and more resistant to rot than many other woods. I just wnat to replace it once and never have to worry about it again, at least in my lifetime!
    Rich

<font color="red"> I just wnat to replace it once and never have to worry about it again, at least in my lifetime!
    </font color>

Well, sorry to tell you, but thats not going to happen. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Unless you pour concrete.

I have never worked with hemlock before, but I know white oak[white, not red oak] will last a LONG time wet. They have been using it for hundreds of years in wood boat keals.
    Paul Bradway

Under the wood, the bridge is constructed of stone and cement pilings with crossbars made of old steel railroad tracks.(Our main road was once a railroad bed.) I would think that the steel would last much longer than the wood. Am I wrong?
    Rich

Paul, are you telling me steel won't last any longer than wood?? [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img] How can that be???
    Rich

Rust. To get steel that is going to suport weight, and last with years of rusting, it would have to be so thick, that the price, and the pain of working with it would be so great, that replacing a few boards every ten years or so would be a lot easyier. Plus, steel can get real slick. I would be afread to drive over it in snow, or the wet. Plus, wood just looks nicer. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] BTW, what goes over it? Cars, tractors? Also, how wide is the spacing, of the steel under it? They have that plastic decking on the market. I don't know how thick it would have to be, to suport cars, but its a thought.
    Paul Bradway

Also, just a little info. When they build a steel ship they can plan for how long it will be safe to use by knowing how thick the hull plates are, and how much will rust away yearly.

Just some usless info. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    Paul Bradway

The bridge is the main drive to our house. Our pickup and van go over it, as well as any cars and trucks of visitors. And of course our tractors go over it!!![img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] That's the problem, I damaged one of the patches I've put on it, while removing snow with my backblade. The wood looks great, makes a great sound, but is a pain!! I've got enough farm work, meding fences and other work to keep me busy, without having to worry about this bridge.

I never heard of the plastic decking, that sounds interesting! Do you (or anyone else!) know anything about that?
    Rich