Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Replacing wooden bridge

Re: Replacing wooden bridge

web page

try this.....
    Paul Bradway

Thats what Richie gets for buying a castle/farm beyond the moat... [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

I'd stick with the wood... there has to be multiple sawmills up in your neck of the woods... besides "rough" white oak is somewhat cheap considering...

My buddy uses a sawmill in Albany County (oak) for refurbing/renewing trailer flatbeds...

(Stempel Saw Mill 872-0431, Berne) ... to get an idea of local pricing

Good luck Richie!

Cambridge, New York in beautiful Washington County, next to Vermont

Thanks, John. We have many local sawmills, and I ordered wood for the bridge from our closest onea few months ago, but he never got the shipment of hemlock. In the spring, I'll re-order the wood, and replace it. The former owners put all the boards butting up against each other, and I think if I space them, they may last a little longer, because they should have a better chance of drying out.

I just thought some kind of steel deck would last almost forever, but you and Paul don't seem to think so. Since you two guys are my buddies, I guess I'll have to believe you![img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
    Rich
    "What a long strange trip it's been."

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    ""All the research I've done does tell me that hemlock is best because it doesn't warp, is strong and more resistant to rot than many other woods. I just wnat to replace it once and never have to worry about it again, at least in my lifetime! ""

[/ QUOTE ]

According to the bible on wood, The Wood Handbook, hemlock is in the lowest class for being resistant to decay(rot). It ranks right in there with the firs, most pines, and spruce. Its warp characteristics are probably the only plus it has going for it. I would be willing to bet that white oak planking will be the best. The plastic decking will not likely be thick enough (it is now made in 5/4 for decks) to get the strength and stiffness you will be looking for. The steel will be very heavy, and if it was a good choice, there would be a lot of bridges with steel decking. There are some real good wood bridge plans around, as wood competes very well with concrete and steel. However, tradition and civil engineers, don't want to lose out to wood bridges. Even so, they are probably still out of the reach of what you want to invest in your bridge. (I will post a reference to recent wood bridge research and applications if I can find it)

You really should check into steel, just to be able to compare the cost to wood. Probably should get the cost of white oak as well as hemlock too. Then you will be able to make that decision as to which to go for. I would place bets on white oak as the best way to go. Its weight to strength ratio and decay resistance will be hard to beat, and will probably last for 15 to 20 years.

Now, if you put a cover over the bridge you will not have to plow snow off, and you will add additional protection to the bridge planking. Covered bridges are a real pride and joy for some, and serve a purpose.

As an alternative to diamond plate, what about steel grating?

Thanks, BT, I appreciate the info.
    Rich

Hi, Mike! Yep I was thinking about steel grating as well. I thought it might be more resistant to rust. I'll try to find some info on that, as well.
    Rich

You are welcome. and here is reference to the bridge program research by the USDA Forest Service.

http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/techline/VI-2.pdf

Rich, Its just amazing how different, diferent types of wood can be. I unearthed a lot of info when I started getting into wooden boat building about 10 years ago. I always thought wood, was wood. WRONG! [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] If you are board[get the pun. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] sorry] heres a link for you. woodweb
    Paul Bradway

Hi Richie! Friends of ours have to cross a stream to get to their home as well. It's a one lane bridge with a steel grate deck. It also had rails on each side since it was about 15 feet above the stream. While the bridge was wide enough to get a full sized tractor across, it was not wide enough for a corn planter. This caused them to have to travel a rather muddy and roundabout path in the spring. My friend and his dad decided they would install a removable pipe railing to deal with this. However, this did not satisfy the township, who wanted a permanent railing. My friend and his dad went ahead with their plan anyway. All was well until the township engineer came out to inspect the railing. Since the slots the removable rails fit into were well down on the bridge structure, it was difficult to see the rails could be removed. The inspection was going along fine, until the engineer decided to lean on the railing. It didn't move much, just enough to scare the dickens out of the inspector who thought she was headed into the creek!

The next time I drove by their place, the township had installed regular guard rail on both sides of the bridge.