Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Garbage Disposal on Septic system?

Garbage Disposal on Septic system?

The wife and I just bought our own little piece of Oklahoma, 5 acres to be exact - so I am venturing into many unknown areas. So far so good, I have all of my fingers and have not wrecked the ol' tractor (did hit a tree that needed to come down anyhow).

But my question is can you use a garbage disposal if you are on a septic system? I have found only two posts buried w/i other threads that touched upon the subject. One said yay, the other nay.

Any info would be appreciated, as the little pregnant wife has a habit of dumping food scraps in the sink and then feeling too nauseated to clear the clog. I don't mind, just thought I'd make life easier, if at all possible (for both of us).

Thanks

Clint.

si vis pacem para bellum

Re: Garbage Disposal on Septic system?

Not the best thing to do, but a scrap or two will not kill anything. Every day pratice? No I would not do it. Better idea. Start a compost pile. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] It will give you some good soil for your flower/veggy gardens. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
    Paul Bradway

There's a lot of pros and cons on this subject. It makes the system work harder to break down the garbage disposal solids. For my money, I'd give the wife a break and clean out the sink for her and put it in the garbage or compost pile.

Nice signature Paul.
    Argee [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

We have also been researching and pondering this. As the other replies mention, it can be done, but simply works the system harder, with more frequent pumping out of undigested solids required.

Here's a really good article I had bookmarked, I believe from TBN somewhere.

Clint

I researched the standards for septic systems in New Hampshire last year. Septic tanks are sized according to the number of bedrooms in the dwelling. If a garbage disposal is installed the size of the required septic tank is increased. My recollection is a 50% increase in size, but this is just from memory. Food scraps take longer to break down, as they are not "predigested".

RonL

I our new home I had orders from the wife that she had to have a garbage disposal. I checked with the people that should know in our area. Most treated it as another bedroom when sizing the system and all recommended pumping every two years.

We only have two people in our home and so it should not be a problem. My advice would be put the disposal in and make your wife happy. Then pump your system after the first year. Once you know the amount of solids in the tank you can gadge when to have it pumped next. Always be very conservative with the time between pumping. It will always save you money in the long run. When in doubt pump it out.

Hi Tim,

I am curious, what is the size of your tank and what does it cost to pump it out?

Hi Hank,

We had a 1500 gallon tank installed. Since our previous home of fourteen years was on a sewer, I am not sure of the cost of a pump out. I would guess that it would be a hundred dollars or so in our area.

Hi Tim,

I'm curious again (always curious [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] ). Do you have an above-ground access for pumping out the septic, or would they have to dig to do this? Ours is entirely below ground with no above-ground access, but I know where it is. Would it be a good idea to install a top-level access?

We have an aerobic septic system and a garbage disposal. Most of the time we try to put scraps in the trash. The little bit thats on the dishes when you rinse them off before putting them in the dishwasher goes down the disposal.
    Alan L. - Texas
    North of Mustang
    South of Bugtussle
    On the Banks of Buck Creek