Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: merry Christmas

Re: Merry Christmas

SHF
    Yes we have a south breeze today. on our back verandah is 30c at the moment 3.00 pm that is very comfortable. At 50F we would be rugged up in jacket and beanie(woollen hat) and 32F is bloody cold. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
    To answer your earlier question the citrus has stood up quite well in the heat so far.
    made in Korea Vin

Vin,

Please excuse me for my ignorance on the topics of geopgraphy and climates of Australia, but it would seem that since you live on the southern tip of a continent located in the southern hemisphere that your summers would be mild. What am I missing here? Is the whole continent this hot this time of the year?
    Chris

Hayseed
    Very difficult to answer but here goes
    where we live is on the same latitude as Southern California. Australia is perhaps further north than you may realise, many towns though on our coast do not get as hot as inland. The only places that gets snow on the main land is in the highlands of Victoria (only a very small area). Tasmania which is further south is colder than the mainland but still receives only very small snow falls
    By the way we are 125mile from the closest gulf and 250 mile from the southern coast.
    made in Korea Vin

Re: merry Christmas

daedong, Same thing for us, of course. Days will be getting longer but still being rather short, the temps will continue to fall as winter's icy grip takes hold. With the mild-moderate el nino the southern midwest (our area is included) storm track for winter storms will bring more than average precip and storms or so the professional weather guessers say.

My previous post was just looking at the upside potential (bright side?) longer nights for you might give cooler sleeping weather even with hot days, if your humidity and cloud cover aren't too great. We have only had a brief sample of winter so far but it will be back with a vengence. We are under a winter storm warning for Monday, rain turning to snow with 2-6 inch accumulation.

I spent most of Saturday running a bull dozer, my first time. It wasn't too difficult. Anyone who can rub his tummy and pat his head at the same time while reciting poetry and winking out intelligible Morse code messages and tapping his toes to the beat of a rock song might be able to do it. It does not have an enclosed cab with A/C and heat like my Kubota tractor (I'm getting spoiled) so I was more "in tune" with the weather and the chill factor.

Patrick
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Your overall temperature ranges are identical to the ranges we experience here in the Arizona high desert, just shifted by six months. Right now, we are 30° - 65°F, and six months from now it'll be 65° - 115°F.

What is your elevation?

Merry CHRISTmas everyone to you and yours and may we all expierience the true meaning of the season GOD bless

Fella's

Pat
    What were you doing with a bulldozer. I have never driven one but i would have thought it was like driving an over sized Bobcat.

Hank
    Our elevation is only 150mt or 500'. I do wonder whether Australia is hotter than than the USA and very much dryer but i don't know why. You can experience the extreme heat almost any were on the mainland, but some places more frequent than others. in some of the real dry parts like the nullabour plain it can get to 120F several days a year, their rainfall is as little a 0.5'' per year average. that means some years it does not rain at all. The nullabour lies along the southern coast on the western side of the country.

wombat
    How dare you use an Aussie name this is like me calling myself Kioti. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
    made in Korea Vin

<font color="purple"> Our elevation is only 150mt or 500'. I do wonder whether Australia is hotter than than the USA and very much dryer but i don't know why. You can experience the extreme heat almost any were on the mainland, but some places more frequent than others. in some of the real dry parts like the nullabour plain it can get to 120F several days a year, their rainfall is as little a 0.5'' per year average </font color>

Wow, I thought we were dry with 7"-10" annual rainfall. Here in the high desert we are at 2500 ft. The lower Sonoran desert (Phoenix AZ and south) gets half of our rainfall, however, and is typically 5-10 degrees hotter.

Vince,

Does the low rainfall effect your crop? Do you have to irrigate? It sounds like citrus is quite well suited to the climate.

Michigan is a little bit wetter than you are. We measure our rainfall in inches per month. The El-Nino/La-Nina phenomenon seems to have the main effect of drying us up. We haven't had a real winter in several years, but we usually get about 60" of snow annually. Up a little farther North, they stop measuring in inches and start measuring in feet. [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

The big Lakes around us moderate our winters and block alot of the weather that everybody else gets. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] On the other hand, the cold winds from Canada blowing across the lake before it is frozen pick up moisture and dump it as snow on the Western part of the state. [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] Everybody else in the country can have clear skies and if there is a Northwest wind, we can have snow every day. [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

SHF

SHF

All our citrus is irrigated from the river Murray.

Do the weather patterns move the opposite way in the northern hemisphere to the southern which move from west to east.
    made in Korea Vin