90-60°N NE
    60-30°N SW
    30-0°N NE
    0-30°S SE
    30-60°S NW
    60-90°S SE

made in Korea Vin

Re: merry Christmas

In the US, our weather moves primarily west to east. During the tropical storm season, we see tropical storms forming off the west coast of Africa and moving westward towards the Americas. Once they hit us, and move north from the tropics, they join up with the west-to-east mode as long as they last.

Vince,

Typically, our weather moves west to east. I think the big difference would be the direction of the warming and cooling winds. A wind or storm front from the Northwest almost always means cooler/colder. Coming from the Southwest, it usually means moister and warmer. I would expect the opposite in your neck of the woods.

The guys out East are bracing for a big storm. From watching the radar on TV, it appears that warm moist air from the Gulf of Mexico is being pushed Northeast. It is following the river valleys through Southern Ohio. The problem comes when it reaches the New England area (New York, Vermont). About the time it gets there, it will hit the colder air and condense out as snow. If there is enough moisture in the weather coming from the Gulf, the storm could be brutal. 2" of rain makes 2 feet of snow. [img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

Is there anything you do differently down there for Christmas? Any special traditions we may be missing out on?

Steve

SHF, another variation I have seen is the weather moving "along a front".

While the front in general is moving west to east, the local "weather" moves up the front line, so locally the storms are moving SW -> NE, or sometimes even W -> E, S -> N, or sometimes even in reverse!! [img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] But in general, the whole thing moves off to the east.

The big storm appears to be moving somewhat North of it's original track. Still miles South of me, but it looks like Detroit might get smacked before it gets to New York.

I've noticed the front phenomenon too. Summers, I always watch for the wind to shift and come frrom the East. It usually means we've got a pretty good rain coming.

Steve