Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pole saw/long reach chainsaw

Pole saw/long reach chainsaw

I was in a farm store a few weeks ago to buy my wife a chainsaw safety helmet for her birthday/Christmas. I saw a gas engine powered pole saw for $500. They also had a Remington electric version for $100 which I purchased. I thought I'd gamble $100 on being able to use my portable generator and an extension cord and save $400.

Well, I finally took it out of the box and asembled it today (in spite of the poorly organized tri-lingual manuals). As the generator was already in the back of our little 4x4 pickup (I had been repairing some gates with my MIG welder) it was a natural to go out and give it a trial. Right after I took the chain off and turned it the right way around (did I mention poor instructions?), it worked real good. Agressive little beast. It goes through 6 inch and larger limbs 10 ft and higher in the air pretty easy (I'm 6'2"). Actually limbs under 6 inches no higher than 9-10 ft from the ground go pretty easy), way better than a ladder and my little Mac chainsaw. It adjusts length(height?) pretty easily with its telescopic handle and really zips off smaller limbs. It took a while to "eat" a 8 inch oak limb. I did mannage to get it pinched and have to push a limb up to release it due to my own sloppy operator procedure.

Anyway, so far so good. Can't comment on longivity but it works well so far. I trinmmed 12-15 trees before I decided I was working too hard, needed a cold soda, and might, if I tarried too long afield, miss Stach Keach in an episode of Mike Hammer Private Eye. The work goes fast when you aren't dragging a ladder around. The cord can get tangled/burried in fallen/falling branches but it is simple to unplug it and pull the cord out from the mess, especially if you don't do an extensive "drunkards walk" (random stroll).

It is double insulated and only needs a two wire extension (14 gauge for 100 ft). I used what was handy, a three wire 12 gauge, heavier but not a problem as you only have at most 7-8 ft in the air. It doesn't have an automatic chain oiler but the push button oiler seemed to work fine. It is a small hand held electric chainsaw bolted into a telescopic pole with built in telescopic exension cord. It can be operated independent of the extension handle and has hand guards and trigger switch with safety for that purpose. I haven't used it that way yet but probably will.

By the way... I recomment the Husky (Husqvarna?) brand chainsaw safety helmet with metal screen face shield, neck flap to keep sawdust off the back of your neck, and ear muffs to protect your ears (gas saws). I use mine with my chipper also as it has the habit of belching the last little piece of a large diameter limb back out the feed hopper.

Patrick
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Re: Pole saw/long reach chainsaw

I had one, the only problem is they break easily. I had to chunk mine once to get out of the way of a falling limb and it cracked. It fell apart over a short period of time after that. If the saw was as tough as the pole it would have been O.K.!

bgott, Thanks for the warning. I'll try to be careful and assess the direction of the local gravity vector so as to be able to predict the direction that a limb will fall after being cut. But seriously, now that I know they are a bit fragile, I'll try to take more than average care. I was using it again yesterday and so far so good. I'm really impressed with its cutting ability. It is quite a workout with the pole fully extended and working at my maximum overhead reach, especily when reaching out as much or more than up.

Pat

The best thing about it was the chain. I had to tighten it once and never had to sharpen it. I used the saw quite a bit over the two or three years I owned it before it fell apart. I'm going to see if I can buy just the saw, the pole is bullitt proof.

bgott, Its having been a while since yours was new you might have misplaced the instructions. Just a reminder that the assy and op instructions were two separate pubs which makes it look like the saw is a separate product but who knows till you try.

Good luck,

Patrick

I was all set to buy one of those pole saw gizmos to trim off a few annoying branches...but one morning I heard the sound of gunfire coming from near our pond. Went to investigate and found the wife "pruning" off those branches with her Winchester 12ga! [img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] She doesn't like heights, so #8 shot was her way of avoiding them.

Pete

Hey Pete, Great story! I like her already. I do think she'd have to escalate the arms race a bit to do what I was doing with the electric pole saw thingy. Maybe a 300 H&H magnum... Or one of those Nitro Express double bore elephant guns! I was taking off healthy limbs as large as 6-8 inches.

Thanks so much for the idea. Yet another good use and reason to buy a semi-auto .50 BMG carbine!

Patrick, in South Central Oklahoma, USA

I was proud of my wife harvesting her mistletoe with the 12 guage until I found where she'd used 20 rounds of my $1 per shell tungsten waterfowl loads to do it.

LazyJ_Arabians, I think maybe I'd have a Cost/Benefit discussion with her and if the harvest wasn't too large, have a chat regarding the need for some target practice. Might be a good chance to explain chokes or the need to get one for the gun. Look at this as an opportunity not a setback.

Patrick

Nah, then she'd start a Cost/Benefit spreadsheet on my hunting expeditions. Last duck I harvested costed out at roughly $450