Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adding Circuits to Breaker Box

Adding Circuits to Breaker Box

OK, the good news is I'm alive... again. Just curious though, how many other idiots like myself are out there adding breakers to the box while it's live?

I did this the first time several years ago under the supervision of a very handy friend. Since then, I've added many circuits without cutting the power. Is this as stupid as it sounds? It's really not that scary, just keep things in order and watch what you're doing. The ground and neutral are a breeze and I secure the hot to the breaker before clipping it in. I'm careful to keep the bare wires (particularly the ground) away from the center buses and the hot lugs on the other breakers. Never more than one tool in my hand and no tool if I'm using only my hand.

OK, I'll even admit at this point to wiring in receps while hot. One wire at a time, no more! And never beyond the martini hour [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

So bring on the critisism, but be honest with me. Am I the only lucky one out there?

Still happy to be alive [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    Rob

Re: Adding Circuits to Breaker Box

The breaker box is where I draw the line in the sand... Main is off or I'm not touching anything... I've done lots of other stupid things with electricity though.... [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

I do it all the time. A few of the houses I own don't have a main breaker so you have to hot swap 'em.

Looks like I will be disagreeing the posters thus far. Anytime I work on electrical things, whether it's the main panel or an outlet, the power is off.

For the highest level of safety...........turn it off. Whatever it is.
    Do I do it all the time......? No but thats me

I do it all the time...never have turned off the electricity. Usually have it on no matter what I am doing...have added circuits, replaced circuits etc and never had a problem. Just be careful and its not nearly as dangerous as it seems

(sometimes I run with scissors too [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img])

I've added breakers to the box that way too. Ground and neutral wires first then the hot wire to the breaker then clip it in.
    Tried replacing a receptacle on a hot circuit once too. Thought if I back-stabbed the wires one at a time there's be little chance of them coming together. Forgot that the way I was holding the receptacle that my thumb and forefinger were touching the un-used screw terminals. OOhh - that tingles!

My dad has added breakers to the live panel. You gotta be real careful when tightening the screw that holds the breaker in.

My place is old. There's remnants of a cistern in the basement and the panel is right above it. Sometimes, when the ground is wet, there will be about 2" of water in the cistern. Adding breakers to the panel when I'm standing in 2" of water is not something I'd be too keen on.

It doesn't seem worth the risk, nor the stress, to me. Electricity already makes me nervous. I like the feeling that I can make a mistake and not be injured.

You're already at the panel, why not just flip the main? What appliance or equipment is so important to have to keep it under power?

It's just a hassle to reset all the clocks.. [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

I turn it off...
    That's just me though

Curtis
    Livin' the simple life, 'ceptin' my high speed internet! [img]/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

That's basically the way I was taught to add breakers. Just hook up the wires first then snap the breaker into place. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]