Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Doggie surgery

Doggie surgery

Tuppence, my 2 year old golden wonder bitch, tore her left rear anterior cruciate ligament going for a tennis ball in the snow and has a big time limp. She tore it bad enough that surgery is needed. Major bummer!

I hate seeing a dog in pain! Of course she's enjoying the extra attention brought on by my guilt, and is sleeping in our bed, beneath the covers, with her head on my shoulder. Okay, so I'm a sucker for a cute face!

Pete

Cambridge, New York in beautiful Washington County, next to Vermont

Re: Doggie surgery

Don't worry, Pete! Our mastiff, Mulder had to have the surgery on BOTH his knees. One surgery at a time 6 months apart. It was over a year before he was completely recovered from both, but he made a 100% recovery! He's running and jumping, which he never did, even as a pup. He was always a happy dog, but now he's ecstatic!!

Mulder's surgeon became so attached to him, that he now refers to himself as Mulder's uncle, and keeps in contact with us. He is a doggie orthropedist, and specializes in knees, so if you need the name of a great surgeon, let me know!
    Rich
    "What a long strange trip it's been."

<font color="purple"> Of course she's enjoying the extra attention brought on by my guilt, and is sleeping in our bed, beneath the covers, with her head on my shoulder </font color>

You mean she doesn't get to sleep that way all the time? Shame [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

We have some that prefer the floor, and some that like the bed; always a couple in/on the bed, though. They work it out themselves. We are just the incidental users of the bed [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Tuppence has our wishes for a speedy recovery!

Fortunately there is plenty of expertise out there for Tuppence. I don't guess rest and therapy would do the trick? If not, these vet surgeons really are good nowadays. Our dog Fudge is doing great after back surgery 18 days ago. However it was expensive, and knee surgery probably is, as well. Anyone know a source for pet insurance?
    Alan L. - Texas
    North of Mustang
    South of Bugtussle
    On the Banks of Buck Creek

Thanks for all the encouraging words, guys! I read them aloud to Tuppence and she seems relieved to know others have gone there before.

All the dogs are allowed on the bed, Hank, but since we only have a full there wasn't enough room for two people and four dogs and three cats. The cats were annoyed by the crowd and moved into the spare room, save for Mouser who occasionally comes in to groom my armpit! [img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] The older dogs apparently felt uncomfortable with all the arms and legs beneath the covers, plus that annoying human need to roll over now and then, and moved elsewhere as well. Tetley has his own bed in the guest room (makes it interesting if human guests choose the wrong spare bed; he pulls their covers off and pants loudly till they move!), Molson's old and arthritic joints prefer the sofa so he doesn't have to climb the stairs, Glenfiddich was crate trained and since losing his crate has always preferred sleeping beneath the bed, and that leaves Tuppence. My little princess. She sleeps between us, beneath the covers, with her muzzle on my shoulder.

BTW: My employer offers pet insurance. It's pretty reasonable for one pet. Barely affordable for two pets. But by the time we got up to dog #4 and cat #3 it was so far beyond reasonable that I would have had to sell Clementine to afford the premiums! So we rely on my combat medic training for the blood and gore, and the vet for the rest. Till now it's worked out rather well. [img]/forums/images/icons/blush.gif[/img]

Pete

Our dogs are the same. Mulder doesn't like to sleep in a human bed, but Patti, our St. Bernard does. But if Patti sleeps on the bed, there's no room for anyone else. Scully (Lab/Australian Shepherd mix) likes to sleep in her crate.

The first day Mulder came home from his first surgery, he was in so much pain, the pain pills didn't do much, so I slept on the floor with him. That made him feel better, so I slept on the floor with him for the first two weeks after his surgery. Then I started spending at least part of each night in bed to save my back. But even now, a year after his last surgery, he still wants me to sleep on the floor with him sometimes. And I do, he's my pal, and I can't hurt his feelings. He's my little boy, he only weighs 165 pounds.[img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
    Rich

Hey, Pete! What's going on with Tuppence? How's she doing? When's her surgery?

If you want, I can have Mulder call her, to prepare her for what she's going to go through.

Actually, she'll be fine after some healing time and some doggie rehab!!
    Rich

Funny timing, Rich! As luck would have it, we took her to a canine orthopedic surgeon today for a second opinion. He poked and prodded, rolled on the floor with her, put her through some contortions, and said in his expert opinion he can't find anything more than some stiff muscles. He thinks she might have just pulled a muscle. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

So we'll watch our little angel for a few weeks and see how she does. Thanks for asking!

Pete

That is great news.

Our rescue Giant Schnauzer Seigir was so out of condition when he arrived that he slipped and pulled the mucsles in his back. He did scare us when he could not get up without help. He was back to normal in a few days and still turns up sore once in a while trying to keep up with his daughter running the woods.

I will keep my fingers crossed for the little angel.

Pete thats great news........[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]