Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Welding in winter

Re: Welding in winter

Egon, Of course you are right but most welding on mild steel on the guys trailer isn't very special or hi-tech. Depending on the weld parameters, preheat to avoid/relieve stress or avoid warp (purposely induce warping to get desired shape) most welding on a trailer won't be bothered by a few degrees change in ambient, especially as pointed out by my neighbor Okie (no disrespect Okie but I have a friend with a black cocker named Okie) when compared to the temp of the weld.

Wind can be a problem as it displaces the shielding gases generated by the consumption of flux (on a stick or with flux cored wire or from shielding gas supplies like CO, argon, etc.)

Patrick
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Pat;
    Absolutely true for most welding we would be talking about here.
    For the wind or rain the welders had canvas screens or almost tent like structures for protection. If the wind got to bad they had to stop.
    Egon

We just pulled it in the shop and started measuring what we needed, cut our stock and welded what we needed without a problem. Two toolbox frames were added along with a platform for the new winch complete with a 2" receiver tube. I bumped up the number of D-ring tie down attachment points and still might add a few more.

My next plan is for a couple more light brackets so I can utilize a couple LED turn indicator lamps. Unlike the other side and turn indicator lights, these will light only with the activation of a turn signal. I still want to add a couple banjo plates in the back, too.

Part of my enthusiasm for doing more on this is that I got to use a plasma cutter for the first time. What a neat tool! If you've never used one the best analogy I can give is that comparing using it to using a torch for cutting is like comparing carving on a stone tablet to printing off a computer. It's truly an amazing thing to see and use

Well, most welding codes allow you to weld on mild steel down to 50 degrees ,which is what he is welding on,I bet.If it was at 20 degrees,if he brings it in side to weld,condensation will occure,and if for no other reason than just to get the moisture off it,preheating to hand warm would be a good thing.If he is welding with a 7018,which is considered a low hydrogen rod, it maks even more sense.Thicker metal requires more preheat because of heatsink.One of the main reasons to preheat is to prevent cracking in your weld due to rapid cooling.The thickness of your materal and how cold it is in your welding area determine this.Now as far as people not properly welding something on a jobsite it happens all the time,but thats why there are welding codes and procedures,to try to make sure things are done properly.Now to the question, it probably won't hurt a damned thing,in this case to weld it at 20 degrees,but there is aright way and another way of doing anything.Preheat never hurt, RICHARD GAUTHIER

After looking at a code book the A.W.S. structural code allows you to weld when the steel is down to 32 degrees with out preheating on mild steel up to3/4 inches thick[a36 steel]. I think that is as low as any code will let you go without preheating. RICHARD GAUTHIER