Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Septic Tank-How to keep it healthy?

Septic Tank-How to keep it healthy?

Just finished having our septic tank pumped and the drain pipes snaked for a blockage.
    Other than being careful about what we flush, what are some good ways to keep the septic bacteria healthy and happy?

What I learned was, there are store bought products that renew the bacteria/enzymes that help break down solids. Apparently, they must be applied regularly, since the soaps we flush can kill them. One of the septic guys suggested filling the kitchen sink with warm water before going to bed. And add a packet of baker's yeast with a little sugar to activate it. Then, in the morning let it go down the drain. He said he cleaned an elderly couples tank who did that twice a month and there was no scum cap floating in the tank. He said the scum cap indicates poor bacterial action.

Anybody have any methods that have worked well? We have no access to the inflow side of our septic tank (under concrete steps) and better bacteria management might help limit visits from the Snake Master.

OkieG

Re: Septic Tank-How to keep it healthy?

I think there are lists of things that should be avoided, mostly being the "anti-bacterial" things we buy. Other than that, pumping every other year (required in this area by the county) is the best bet. Your suggestion about the yeast routine sounds better (or just as good as) than buying chemicals (which I have never done and my tank is working well after 35 years).

Cambridge, New York in beautiful Washington County, next to Vermont

Greatly limit the amount of bleach you use in washing clothes. Powdered detergents also cause the buildup of solids. Don't use those automatic toilet bowl cleaners, that are released with every flush. And adding the bacterial cultures every month is essential. I've always used Rid-X, but I suspect they're all the same. I've never had to pump a septic system in any house I've lived in. The longest I've had a house was 20 years, and I never had to pump the system.
    Rich
    "What a long strange trip it's been."

The county health department requires all septic systems to be pumped every two years. I'm not sure what it means that you "never" pump yours. I've nevr heard that as a recommendation for a healthy septic system. Inspection of the sytem is done also at the time of pumping.

In New York, pumping is not a requirement. If a septic system is healthy, it will digest most solids, and allow water to re-enter the groundwater. If the system is working properly, you have no problems with it. Eventually most systems do need pumping depending on how much wastes settle, but if your system is working very efficiently, that pumping can be extremely infrequent. The reason many areas require pumping, is that most people do not make any attempt to maitain their septic system.
    Rich

And what is the way that one can tell if pumping is needed?

After the solids start to flow out the outlet and plug up the drain field? Too late!

IMO, there is something missing in your logic. A septic system is not something to let go until the problem (needing pumping) is evident by something undesireable backing up into your house.

I really don't want to disagree with you, as I feel if you want to take the risk, that is certainly your prerogative. However, for those tuned into this thread, I think not pumping is way to risky as a recommendation for a septic system owner's plan.

You may be right, but in most cases I've heard of, if the drains are slow it's time to pump, and there will be no damage to the system.

Rich

When to pump? Get a 3/4" piece of clear plastic tube 8 ft long and tape it to a stiff rod. Once a year open the access on the input side of the tank when there hasn't been any input for several hours to stir things up. Stick in the "sludge judge", plug the end and pull it out and take a reading. I pump at 3' of sludge which for a family of 4 amounts to about every 4-5 years.

As far as tank health, I know several people who flush a bucket full of fresh livestock manure several times a year. Kinda makes sense since a herbivore's digestive system is bacteria-based. I simply make it a practice to keep as much grease out of the system as I can, trash instead of flush most used toilet paper, AND eat plenty of fiber.

I feel for you, buddy. I just did the same thing to mine this morning. It blocked on Tuesday - pretty bad timing.

Every time there's a severe thaw, the ground water rises above the leach field. This prevents effluent from leaving the tank and causes solids to sit in the inlet pipe, about 15 feet before it. Because it takes time for the ground to reach normal sturation levels, the solids are left behind in the pipe and cause a nasty sludge blockage. It was so bad this time, that even when the end of the snake was visible in the tank (through the cleanout hole), there was no water that followed. The sludge would immediately fill the hole created by the snake.

My solution was a last ditch effort. I wired the end of our garden hose to the end of the snake and pushed down until I felt resistance. I turned on the water and blew everything out.

This happens way to frequently and I suspect that the old inlet pipe has seen better days. I'll be doing something drastic in the near future. I can get my hands on some commercial, acid-based drain pipe cleaner. I'll dump that down my clean-out trap and let it sit for a bit. I'll then run the water for awhile and then follow that up with a couple of boxes of baking soda to neutralize the acid. Last step is to rebuild the bacteria I wiped out in step one with one of those packaged septic system maintenance products.

This is definitely not the best way to spend your Christmas holidays. I'm just so happy that I have a wife who has the guts to help me out with this type of thing. Quite a trooper.

Some things we do to try to help:

- Use liquid laundry detergent
    - Space the laundry chores out - not all on one day
    - don't throw harsh chemicals down there (bleach)

and, best for last

- explain to unknowing visitors what they can't flush down your toilet! Is it coincidence that these problems started right after my in-laws left this weekend?

Unless you use a "Lager" yeast, adding yeast will not help. It won't hurt, but...

Most yeasts work from the high 60's and up. Too warm can kill the yeast too, or will cause off flavors(in beer at least).

You septic tank is in the ground, and its contents will be at ground temperature. Like a root cellar, it will be on the cool side. Most yeasts, including baking yeast, simply won't work in that temperature.

We just had our tank pumped, after 7 years. It had 5" of scum, which the pumper said is a good indication of time to pump(anything 5" or over I think he said...). He pointed out where there was buildups from powder laundry and dishwasher detergent. He gave us a "Box of Bugs" to use, and said to use them once each year. He said they are the same bacteria as used by municipal districts.

We had our tank pumped because of smell. He could not find anything wrong in the tank or lines. He indicated a lot of folks have problems with odor coming from the house vents. In our case, we'd use the spa in the evening, and could smell odor, hence having the tank pumped. He said it is common, and is cause by cool in of the air and gasses in the evening, causeing the air to drop. Makes sense from my limited chemistry. They sell carbon filters that go on the vents just for that reason.

These guys are well known in the county. They recomend pumping every 7 years or there abouts, for the reason if you wait too long, and it backs into the leach field it is WAY more expensive than the pumping.