Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Septic Tank-How to keep it healthy?

Re: Septic Tank-How to keep it healthy?

GSS,

You know, my first thought (I'm not an expert) is that it is probably not a good idea. My almost immediate second thought is that the paint from rinsing a brush is very dilute and will likely flow right on through to the septic tank and not coat the drain pipe along the way. The litte piece of drain pipe I can glimpse down my 4" cleanout is clean as a whistle.

Also, I've opened old cans of latex paint and found mold growing. Heck, the stuff may be biodegradeable. Anyway, there is a chance it may get consumed by bacteria in the tank or just settle to the bottom of the tank as sludge.

Either way I don't expect it will make it out into the drain field where massive amounts of paint particles could clog things up. So, after my second thought, I suspect that occassional rinsing of latex paint brushes will probably have little or no adverse effect. Just my uneducated opinion (I've washed a few latex laden brushes and sent the water down the drain over the years too).

Perhaps someone more knowledgeabe will respond, especially if my judgment is off base.

OkieG

I wash my rollers and brushes in the slop sink in the basement which drains into the sump. The sump does not go into the septic. I made it go outside on the ground for now, until I dig a french drain for it.

The butterflies are after the salts (sodium, potassium, calcium) that are excreted in the urine. There are no sugars in healthy person's urine.

Inspector,

Will you still wash your brushes into the sump once the French drain is in place? How does the ground look outside where the sump drains? Does it seem like paint brush rinsing might threaten your future French drain?
    Thanks.

OkieG

It may change things, I have no idea. But I can't see putting latex paint in the septic tank either. I might just rinse them out with the hose outside, although I prefer using warm water [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

I know what you mean. I've taken buckets of warm water outside for one thing or another when cold water wouldn't do.

Thanks, DocHeb - never knew what they were after.