Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best/Easiest wiring for portable generator?

Best/Easiest wiring for portable generator?

I live in North Carolina and just got my power back after 4 days due to the ice storm this past thursday. During that time I purchased a portable generator (Generac 5500watt) and kerosene heater to get by. Both worked well, but I was unsure how best to wire the generator into my electrical system, so I just ran a dropcord into my living room and ran what I needed from there, something is better than nothing. Now that I have time to plan for the next power outage I would like to set things up to where I can use the generator to its full potential. Also I live in a condo and will be building a house on my land this summer so I don't want to spend ton just in case something happens in the next year. Someone told me about running a jumper to your dryer/stove plug. I am pretty handy but the knowledge of electricity is not a strong point.
    1. Is this the best/easiest way?
    2. If it is, could someone give me a quick run down of how to do it.
    3. If I put 220v in can I run 120v out?

Thanks for any help. Tom H

Hot showers are underrated. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Re: Best/Easiest wiring for portable generator?

Number one, if you run the generator to the dryer plug, take out the main breakers in the breaker box, otherwise you will be pushing juice into a system that is down and give someone a nasty surprise. Other than that, it should work and you will get both 110 and 220 within your own electrical system.

What he said.

Can kill a lineman leaving it in as the electricty would go out onto the grid. Lord knows they have enough danger to deal with.

A good place to go to and to talk with is your local utility ... they have a real interest in how you wire into your house because, as stated above, you can seriously hurt someone on the grid ...

Thank you for the info. Before I was told anything I was told to cut the main fuse for the reasons stated above. My fusebox has a main breaker, is that the same thing as;

take out the main breakers in the breaker box

Thanks again, Tom H

Yes it is.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I think the best way (safest too) is to install a transfer switch alongside your panel box. A 6 circuit switch is not too bad on cost and can safely connect the generator into your electrical system. You generator will simply plug into the transfer switch and you can select which circuits to run in the house. It also ensures total separation between generator and utility lines.
    Nick

<font color="blue"> take out the main breakers in the breaker box, </font color>
    Take out or turn off?

The proper way to do it is to install a transfer switch. You can install a whole house switch or a circiuit switch. A whole house switch is often not a DIY project. The circuit switch is a DIY project. You basicly select what circuits you want to power with the generator and connect them through the panel panel. WHen the generator is runnin you plug in the generator to the panel and flip the switches.

As several noted backfeed can be done, Its not to code anywhere and is dangerous. If you do do it you need to stop the power from feed back down the mains. You need to shut off the mains by flipping the breaker, plugging the breaker if you can or removing the main fuse.

I just got a generator. Since we are on a well, we lose water when ther's no power. Otherwise, we're pretty self sufficient.

For the time being, I have set up to to do as you mention. I have a 50A Stove plug near the main panel. I made a connector cord from the generator plug to the stove plug. In the event of a power outage, I drop the main breaker. then I shut off all breakers. I then run hook up the generator, and get it going. Once done there, I turn on the appropriate breakers to run basic things in the house; well, fridge, and a few lights.

When power comes back on, then it's the same ritual backwards. Shut down the brakers. Then shutdown the generator and disconnect. Turn the main breaker back on, and then start bringing power back up a circuit at a time(reminds me of my hi-tech days, when we'd lose power in our lab with SEM's and hi-vac systems, chilled microscope systems and that).

I will to add a generator panel, just need to recuperate from the expense of the generator.

As others have mentioned, you have to be VERY careful when applying power, so you don't backfeed onto the main lines and jolt the service guy off the power pole.