Thread: Welder Recommendations

Welder Recommendations

I have been talking about learning to weld for a couple of years... so the wife buys me a welding helmet and gloves and a hammer and a few things for welding and says "just do it". So now I have to figure out the kind of welder and how to get myself learned.

My applications are simple hobby and tractor type stuff. Repair to the tractor and attachments, looking at being able to make attachments or various brackets for tie down on the trailer and shelving etc. Nothing that is crucial and nothing that would hold ones life or limb in the balance.

My thoughts are stick or mig (wire feed) - I understand stick is classic heavy metal very flexable but more difficult to learn. Mig is easier to learn but not for a heavy applications.
    I would like a 110 unit but understand that limits me in the thickness. So I am leaning towards a Lincoln SP135 or the 175 both wire feed units.

Second, I was going to get a book and teach myself for now. I have looked at the local Jr college but can't afford the time to take a course that meets 2 nights a week. Work doesn't allow.

I could use any advice and recommendations from the brain trust out there. Thanks.

Darius

Re: Welder Recommendations

[img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] When you look around at wire welders, you will need to verify that it uses a TWECO gun or a tweco clone. [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] The rest are not nearly as good. The 120V units are actually sort of a misnomer [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img] since most 120V circuits won't keep them in power for sustained heavy welding; they want about 25 AMPs more or less [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] on the top end. The HOBART HANDLER is a good machine for your job if you want to go with wire. If you do choose wire, go with gas shield not flux core wire. All you really need is to have ONE PRO come over and kind of mentor you a bit with regards to settings, like wire speed and heat. Then have him show you how to fix the little annoyances that come up like wire feeding problems. After that, it's just practice. [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
    CJDave

Darius,

I just completed my first welding class earlier this month and would highly recommend looking around to find a class you can take. The safety portion alone was worth the money (and time) to me.

I will probably do MIG welding exclusively but took the recommendation of more than a few people and signed up for the basic ARC (stick) welding course first. That's the one I just completed and I now feel like I have a basic grasp of the concepts involved in welding. Next month I'm signing up for their MIG welding class as I happen to have a MIG welder in the shop here.

I'm not sure if I'll take any further welding classes after this one or not. I'm sure I could learn a lot more, of course. I just think I'll want to spend some time practicing and learning on my own once I have the basics down. Stuff I used to discard I now put off to the side to practice my new skills.

The machine I'll be using is a Hobart 175 available at Tractor Supply. I've noticed a price drop recently and they're now even packaged with some accessories. While this is a 220V system, it only requires 30 amp breakers so you can run your line with 10 gauge wire.

Darius -- I was in the same boat. Needed to do some light welding: jigs, gates, and eventually sheet metal on the old 57 Dodge. I narrowed my search down to a Lincoln or Miller 120V unit, as I wanted the portability that comes with the ability to plug into any 20 amp circuit. Home Depot had a pretty decent price, but the local welding supply store had a great package deal on a Millermatic 135 that included an hour of practice time in their shop under the instruction and supervision of one of their welding pros. That hour alone was worth the extra $100. I haven't actually made or repaired anything yet, but I've gotten a lot of practice on metal scraps brought home from work. My welds are looking pretty good now, and it won't be long before the welder starts earning its keep!

Pete

Another option to consider is a torch. I've been looking at stick welders and considering MIG for a long time also, but when it comes down to the welding I actually do, my torch has done every type of weld I've ever needed. Plus, if I need to burn a hole into some steel, burn some bolts, cut some steel, do some brazing, ... I'm set. Regardless of what you end up with as an electric welder, if you don't have an oxy-acetylene torch set consider getting one also.

danusr,

Gary, Boondox and CJDave all recommend some mentoring. I agree. I took the VoTech basic welding course twice in a row and am tempted to take it again. You learn so much more, and faster with some experienced guidance. Plus, the expendibles you use in class, while learning, are included in the price of the course.

Andy has a good point, too. I don't use my torch for welding, but it is valuable for everything Andy mentioned, plus with the help of a metal vice you can bend metal for fabrication of project parts (which is what I use the torch for most). Also, with a few 20# propane tanks already sitting around for garage space heater and BBQ grille, I opted for an oxy-propane setup for my torch. There are pros and cons, but the point is there are options in torch selection just like there are in welder selection. Welding tools will really increase your capabilities and your enjoyment!

OkieG