Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oak stairs $3,500? sanity check

Oak stairs $3,500? sanity check

Well, things are starting to come together, painting the family room, kitchen, hall, & stairway. Floors are here, but are going to have to wait a little.

We had a guy out to quote an Oak staircase. It is a straight staircase, with the bottom 5-6 treads exposed on one side. Currently it is carpet.

Oak treads, pine? toekick, new sideboards, bannister & railing. Also nosing trim at the top. Total $3,500 +/- (he is working on the formal quote). Is this in the ballpark? 2-4 day job. It seems awfully expensive. I'm thinking of doing it myself, am I insane?
    Hazmat

Re: Oak stairs $3,500? sanity check

Yet another hazmat project!! You are keeping us all busy and interested.

[disclaimer] I've never built a staircase on site, but I have milled many, many stair parts, and there are lots of them, and I can see how there would be some considerable labor to install them all. This price seems like it would be in the ball park.

Since this is a straight staircase, you might want to check out a factory pre-built unit that you can set into place, then you would have to install the ballusters, newels, railing, skirting boards, etc. I am not sure what the current market offers for pre-built stuff.

Take Hank's advice and check out a prefabricated staircase.

I put one in my last house and it looked great and it was much nicer than anything I would have built myself. Installation was easier than expected. After tearing out the old stairs, I nailed a pair of runners onto the studs on each side and with my father slid the new stair up the runners and into position. It was a 2 person job and only took an hour or so to get the stairs in position and functional. Trimming and finishing of the stairs was done over several weeks of evenings and weekends.

Go to a real lumberyard, not a Home Depot type of place, to have the stairs quoted. If they are a good yard, they will be working with a local shop which will fabricate the stairs for you. My stairs were non-standard, but it only took about two weeks to have the stairs made up and delivered. It would have been quicker, but I specified Ash rather than their standard Red Oak or Poplar.

If you do go this route make sure your measurements are very accurate because once the stairs are made up there isn't much you can do to adjust for a mistake in total rise or the fact that your walls aren't perfectly plumb.

Hazemat,

Afraid that sounds in the ballpark to me. Stair parts are expensive (How do you think Hank built that great place in Az. [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img] ) and it takes a good carpenter to put them in right.

MarkV

Hazmat

Price sounds about right. Stairs are the hardest part of house building and even many contractors can't do the job right. (That's why they have factory prebuilts.) As far as components, Depot has oak and pine treads, rails, spindles, etc. If I recall correctly 48" oak treads 10" deep were in the $25.00 each range while pine was about half that much. Most of your cost would be in labor.

Steve

Have you peaked under the carpet yet to see what the stairs are made of? You might be surprised and find that you have a staircase that with little elbow grease and some trim can be made to look real good.

<font color="purple"> it takes a good carpenter to put them in right.
    </font color>

Mark, you have obviously been exposed to some good carpenters, as I have. These guys amaze me; their skills are far different than my shop skills:

-Install a "Gone With the Wind" circular staircase, I've seen them do that with my millwork, no sweat.

-Frame a roof on the ground, and send up hip, valley, jack, cripple-jack, etc rafters cut to a precise compound cut on the ground, and sent up to be nailed in place with no further trimming.

Blows my mind.

<font color="blue">Stairs are the hardest part of house building
    </font color>

How do you figure??? Not totally true..I can make you a set of steps in 1/2 a day,how do you want them cut,the angle cut out of the stair stringer,or do you want them routed,where the step slides back into the stringer. A spiral staircase is involved,but a regular stair design is not that complicated.

I would have to agree that stairs are one of the hardest parts of home construction. Not a simple, enclosed stairway but an open staircase with exposed tread ends, railing, spindles and newells. Our total stair budget in our house was around $3500 but that really only covered four exposed steps, a landing and a horizontal railing at the top. Money very well spent in my opinion as it is a real focal point in the foyer. Looks great all decked out for the holidays too [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    Rob

It can be for sure...it all depends on the type of stairs.