Thread: Oil in cylinder/junk Homelite

Oil in cylinder/junk Homelite

I have an old Mini-Mac that I purchased new in the early 70's. It has had occasional use over the years and I have kept it maintained and clean. It was leaking gasoline a couple years ago when I needed it so I ran to the big box and spent $129 on a Homelite. We used to use them to trim all winter long on the fruit farms here and they were a good saw but this one is a piece of JUNK [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img] . Every time I use it the chain comes off no matter what I do. It runs great for awhile and then the inevitable happens. I am going to look at a Stihl today, I have used an 026 for years at work clearing right of ways and never had a problem with it. I will purchase a new chain for the red one and see if that helps, then keep it for a trimming saw. Back to the Mac, I went to start it after the chain came off the Homelite for the second time yesterday and it acted as though the cylinder was hydraulically locked (have not used it since I replaced the gas line a couple years ago). Upon pulling the plug, I noticed bar oil in the bore. Is it possible that somehow the bar oil could have gotten in there [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img] ? I don't know how that could happen yet it kept coming out of the spark plug hole as I held it upside-down. I did not have time to mess with it so I fixed the red one again and finished the job. I will work on both of them after the holiday but this really puzzles me.
    Bayrat

Cambridge, New York in beautiful Washington County, next to Vermont

Re: Oil in cylinder/junk Homelite

Before I bought my Husky, I bought a Craftsman Chainsaw, and I had the same problem with the chain coming off. I returned it to Sears, and bought the Husky, which I have been VERY happy with. I wonder if Homelite makes the Craftsman saws, since they seem to have the same problem.
    Rich
    "What a long strange trip it's been."

Re: Oil in cylinder/junk Homelite

The two saws look identical so I would say they are Homelite junk, I heard Sears is selling Husky now but have not seen one there. I just came back from a nearby Stihl dealer with my new 260, can't wait to try it! I could have purchased the Husky on-line for less money and I like them as well but I wanted to be able to get warranty and parts servicing nearby.
    Bayrat