Thread: Ham bone soup

Ham bone soup

I have a honey baked ham bone leftover from the Holidays. Does anyone have a recipe that they would like to share?

Re: Ham bone soup

I've got the same but our ham isn't quite down to the bone yet. My favorite recipe is "Senate Bean Soup". I don't have the recipe handy but do a search or check your favorite recipe site and you'll no doubt find it. It's named Senate as it was frequently served in the senate cafeteria in DC. It's much better than the actual senate [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    Rob

Re: Ham bone soup

I know it has been a while since you asked for this recipe, but let me give you one that we use a lot.

Soak 1 cup of split peas overnight (either yellow green peas)

In a large soup pot cover the ham bone, peas, and a small chopped onion. Boil until the ham is tender - since you have a honey baked ham, bring to a boil then simmer for about an hour.

Remove the bone and cut the whatever ham is left into small pieces and return to the pot. I try to leave enough meat on the bone so that I end up with about 2 cups of ham.

Add 3 large potatoes (cut in small chunks).

Cook until peas and potatoes are tender.

Serve with hard rolls for dunking, or homemade sourdough bread.

You can also substitute turkey bones for the ham, but to me, it is not quite as good.

Good luck, and let us know how you like it.

Bob