Pete, I think I am about to join your club. My wife's input on our new house is to insist on a L A R G E space for her "Project Room" the activities of which are TBD. So far I have wrung out of her that it will include a tea room space for female gatherings (with windows with a view), display space for her collections current and future, room to make things (projects?) and whatever. Of course she needs other space for her kiln, molds, leaded glass fabrication and ... I had thought of putting MY sewing machines in her project room but I don't think I want to be there during a "meeting". If I'm lucky I can keep her from taking over MY shop.

Anyway to the topic: There certainly are a lot of hi-tech gadgets out there, some not too substantial. I applaud your decision to avoid proprietary traps that sole source you. From the intel on you gathered from a plethora of posts, I'm willing to bet your honey gets a real good embroidery machine. Let us know what you finally decide.

My personal sewing often takes me to the limits(aned beyond) of my regular household sewing machines and I have made a couple feeble attempts to find used industrial machines, suitable for canvas, leather, and such but no luck so far. I found a decent looking machine for $500 but it was being sold by the owner/user's relatives who couldn't even thread it and it made "funny" noises when operated. I too am ignorant of these machines and need to buy from soeone capable of showing me how to adjust/run the beast.

Best to you,

Patrick

Patrick