Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Embroidery machines?

Re: Embroidery machines?

Pete, I think I am about to join your club. My wife's input on our new house is to insist on a L A R G E space for her "Project Room" the activities of which are TBD. So far I have wrung out of her that it will include a tea room space for female gatherings (with windows with a view), display space for her collections current and future, room to make things (projects?) and whatever. Of course she needs other space for her kiln, molds, leaded glass fabrication and ... I had thought of putting MY sewing machines in her project room but I don't think I want to be there during a "meeting". If I'm lucky I can keep her from taking over MY shop.

Anyway to the topic: There certainly are a lot of hi-tech gadgets out there, some not too substantial. I applaud your decision to avoid proprietary traps that sole source you. From the intel on you gathered from a plethora of posts, I'm willing to bet your honey gets a real good embroidery machine. Let us know what you finally decide.

My personal sewing often takes me to the limits(aned beyond) of my regular household sewing machines and I have made a couple feeble attempts to find used industrial machines, suitable for canvas, leather, and such but no luck so far. I found a decent looking machine for $500 but it was being sold by the owner/user's relatives who couldn't even thread it and it made "funny" noises when operated. I too am ignorant of these machines and need to buy from soeone capable of showing me how to adjust/run the beast.

Best to you,

Patrick

Patrick
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Patrick,

if you're trying to find a machine that will sew the heavy stuff like several layers of canvas, leather, denim and the like ... well, I have two recommendation based on the experience of those I know.
    Really heavy stuff ... find a shoemakers machine!
    Pretty heavy stuff ... find an old treadle sewing machine that still works.
    Both of those have the oomph to sew that stuff in straight stitches without breaking all the delicate parts current machines have ...

I'll let you know more about embroidery machines as I get closer to a "final decision"

pete
    it's a shame that common sense isn't

Hi Pete.

I got a Bernina for my wife to do her piece quilting a couple of years ago and she loves it.

Bernina has a new embroidery machine at This Link that looks pretty neat. WAY too much like a computer for my wife! but it may be what you're looking for. Seems to have the features you and others have mentioned.