Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: video tape cabinet

video tape cabinet

Here is a video tape storage cabinet i just made for my mom. It hold 135 tapes per shelf. 45 in a row, 3 rows deep. I wanted to put raised panel glass doors on it, but she didnt want to. Was Afraid the grandkids might break it and get cut. Works for me [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] . Now she wants a narrow one but taller. She'll take upper doors with glass and open shelves on the bottom for that one. Back down to the shop for ME [img]/forums/images/icons/smirk.gif[/img]

Re: video tape cabinet

Nice job. That should work real well for tape storage.

What wood did you use? Picture isn't real clear, but looks like a plywood with solid wood edgings, and a dark stain. How did you do the joints? Was it your own plan?

Sorry if too many questions, but thought it would be interesting to know about the work you did.

The cabinet is made from 1/2 Birch Plywood. The trim is made from white pine. The trim is all home made on my shaper. The sides are dado for the shelves. Actually its a golden oak stain. The back is recessed with 3/16 luane plywood. Basic backer sheet stock for all cabinets. There were no plans just out of my head along with the size of a video tape plastic box for maximum quanity. Thanks for the compliment beenthere. I take pride in my woodworking.
    Larry

Here is a better picture of the top trim.

<font color="purple"> The trim is all home made on my shaper </font color>

Very nice, Larry! The shaper is a wonderful tool, isn't it? I am curious, did you buy pre-made shaper cutters, or are you grinding your own knives?

I just use multiple 1/2 shank shaper and router bits to make my own design. For the most part they are basic cutters. Normally when i make trim i make enough for the whole project at once. I keep cutt offs of most of my styles incase of a fix. But i just wing it really. I have some matched cutters for raise panel doors and some other wood joints that are special and must match. You start getting into all the different shaper cutters and it gets real expensive fast. Rail and style cutters are expensive also. I have ground some radius cutters from carbide at work, but there is not much time for that says the company i work for [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] My wife does alot of freehand painting on furniture i have made and we have sold many items. We will make stuff for about 8 months on and off and have a once a year sale from the garage. We get alot of repeat buyers each year. My wife Bonnie takes in many items to paint for clients. The faux and crackle finishes are in with vines and flowers and such. She does a real nice job on them
    Thanks and have fun, Larry

Here are just a couple things i have made and the wife has finished with her touches. These pictures are some of the popular stuff we have sold multiples of right from the house. some things we have taken orders for and been backed up to get them done.. I hate promising people a time too. [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img] They get sad if they have to wait.

another

yet some more

I could keep on attaching....but only one more [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]