Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Suburban life pitting farmers vs. neighbors

Suburban life pitting farmers vs. neighbors

http://www.philly.com/mld/inquirer/4855777.htm

Comments?...I'll reserve mine for now....

Re: Suburban life pitting farmers vs. neighbors

The Farmer:

When he is gone where do we get our food from?

It would seem the Farmer is an endangered species looked upon by urbal development proponents [ spell someone makes big bucks ] as an impiediment to thier operation.

Even worse is the conversion of very viable agricultural soil to asphalt,concrete and manicured lawn requireing a preponderance of chemicals detrimental to the enviroment.

Perhaps our numbers are outstripping our resourses.
    Perhaps a major change is inevitable to introduce proper functioning public transportation and eliminating the thousands of square miles of concrete and asphalt covering the surface of the earth.

The answer I do not have for a wise man I am not.

Egon

<font color="blue"> He said his neighbors should have considered more carefully where they were going to live. </font color>

Her we go again!

That sums it up. People move out to the country to "get away from it all" and the want to change the country environment to suit them. They want to edict new laws for this and that and end up right back where they started, wanting to "get away from it all".

I think it was "beenthere" who posted this quote in part from the infamous <font color="red"> Yard Lights </font color> thread between a farmer and a newcomer:

<font color="red">"Did you really like this area when you first came here?" Answer "yes". Comment "Then leave it that way." </font color>

That pretty well applies here.
    Argee [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Well thats pretty much how I see it too...some people are awfully naive about what living in the country is really like...its happening where I live too and I expect that its only going to get progressively worse. [img]/forums/images/icons/mad.gif[/img]

I deal with this on an almost daily basis. What the heck do these people think the country is? It happens everywhere. The farmers, ranchers, etc. do their jobs the way it's been done for a thousand years. Then some city jerks come in and want to change everything so it is just like the city. I can't believe the nerve of these people. It's the country darnit it's not Beverly Hills!!!! Pack up your bags and your fancy cars and houses and put them on a corner lot in the city. Don't come out here to the country and try and change everything to be sterile because it's not!! [img]/forums/images/icons/mad.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/mad.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/mad.gif[/img]

They just want everything to look like an issue of "Country Living" magazine. You know: A beautiful yard filled with flowers, a small dog or cat on the wrought-iron chair, a gentle breeze blowing in off of the meadow, a babbling brook in the background.
    Then they move in and all of the sudden its: "golly, what in the world is that smell?" and "I thought those cows we saw when we bought the place were very picturesque, now they just smell bad." or "I wish that rooster wouldn't crow at 5:00." [img]/forums/images/icons/smirk.gif[/img]

-Frank

City people forget. Fresh country air sometimes smells like manure.....

We are getting very close to building a house on our three acres in the "country." I emphasize the word country because it has always been the country until the last decade or so, when it started getting more and more populated by the year. In another five or ten years it will be just another extension of suburbia. Until then I look forward to living across the road from a 160 acre pasture, complete with cows. It has been for sale for years and has so far not sold and if I could have my way it would never sell. I much prefer the company of cows to that of a lot of humans I have known in my life. [img]/forums/images/icons/smirk.gif[/img] I love to watch cows, I love to listen to them and I don't find their smells at all unpleasant. Who ever owns that pasture and cows can sleep well at night knowing that at least one neighbor won't give them grief for doing what it is that country folks do the best - be country folks, cows and all. I may have lived in the city for the past 26 years but I never stopped missing the country life I enjoyed the first 20 years of my life. As far as I am concerned clueless folks from the city should do the world a favor and stay there if the best they can offer is trying to make country folks conform to their idea of how the world should be.
    Chris

Mebe we need a new law-- in order to buy a "nice place out in the country" ya gotta be able to train the farmers' cows to flush!!! [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Cambridge, New York in beautiful Washington County, next to Vermont

I'm quite sure the farm was there long before the suburban houses were built. What did they expect?

As someone said earlier, you have to plan where you move. We want to farm, and moved to an agricultural district. Our neighbors are thrilled that we're putting our farm back into active farming. I guess we're lucky!
    Rich
    "What a long strange trip it's been."