Thread: Looking For Free Trees

Looking For Free Trees

I have about 4 acres of woods with various hardwoods in northern Kentucky but, would like to grow some different varieties of trees. Does anyone know where I might find free saplings to plant this spring. Does the Forestry Service or Extension Service supply?

Re: Looking For Free Trees

Our municipality has one day every year when you can pick up as many free trees as you can carry. Problem is that you have to be there between 9am and 4pm on a weekday. Maybe there's something similar in your community?

Also, just checked the National Arbor Day Foundation's web site and for a 10 dollar membership you get 10 free trees and then a healthy discount on over a 100 different varieties.

Not free, but pretty darn cheap:

http://www.conservation.state.mo.us/...sery/seedling/

Also, only for Missouri....I looked for a similar site under the Kentucky Conservation Department, but didn't find one. I know other states have similar programs, so you might try searching the KY Conservation site or contacting them. At a few bucks for 25 seedlings, I usually have trouble limiting my list.

Chuck

I'll echo Chuck's suggestion:

Check with your state dept of forestry or equivalent. Often they will have a state nursery with dirt cheap trees. In New Hampshire you can get them for pennies per sapling (depending on how many)
    Hazmat

THE COUNTY I LIVE IN VA. DOES GIVE THEM AWAY USUALLY IN EARLY SPRING AT THE EXTENSON AGENCY OFFICE

We do the Arbor Day Society thing every year. Usually plant them in a starter type bed to get them going and then move them to their permanent home once we are sure they are in good shape.

Keep in mind that these free trees they send are very small. Looks like a bag of sticks! Some will die too.

I'm glad to see others want to plant tree instead of kill them.

- Gerald

Thanks for all the feedback. I finally found a site on the web, the Kentucky Division of Forestry. They offer bundles of seedlings for sale. They have almost any variety that will grow here. 50 seedlings are $20 and 500 are $90 plus tax and shipping. Still very inexpensive. I called the local office and they are even sending someone out to go over my land and give me a written plan on where and what to plant. The best part is it's FREE!! [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] You gotta love it. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Richard

<font color="blue"> called the local office and they are even sending someone out to go over my land and give me a written plan on where and what to plant. The best part is it's FREE!! You gotta love it. </font color>

That's great! Happy planting
    Hazmat