Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Gun Cleaning

Re: Rifle

I use a .270 WBY that I hand load for. I now use 160gr Nosler partitions. I did experiment some with the Barnes but I was unhappy with the copper fouling. I never did get a recipe worked out for that bullet that would match the factory offering. I used this round on Black Bear and Caribou in alaska. I have always wanted to toy with a .257 Wby. Looks like a fun caliber. Dave

I had trouble working up a load for the barnes in both the 257 wby and 300 win mag. In fact I almost gave up. I finally got the 300 to fire 180 gr XFB w/ 73 gr. of reloader 22. The boat tails wouldn't work. The 257 wby worked out with the 100 gr XBT w/ 70 gr. of reloader 22. Pretty amazing when you realize the the two powder weights only differ by 3 gr's, the 257 wby is zipping.

Interestingly enough, I also loaded 100 gr. swift a-frames in the 257 wby with the same powder charge etc. The point of impact and grouping is identical [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] That gives me two options when hunting.

I'm interested in trying the new triple X from Barnes. It's supposed to reduce pressure and fouling. It's an unorthodox looking bullet with the rings.

Like you, I swear by the Nosler Partitions. For some reason I just wanted to try the Barnes and make them work.

What did you bag on your Alaska hunt? That's on my list one of these days. Did you use an outfitter or did you have some connections?

I took a caribou that was just under the annual B/C numbers and on the last day after chaseing more bears than I care to remember I took a six footer. I persued one black bear that would easily have made the record books. Well over 8' [img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] I used Bob Adams. I booked directly but both Cabelas and Jack Atcheson sell hunts for Bob. First class operation. I intend to get back for a moose hunt in the future. How about you ? Africa, Now theres some place I have always wanted to go. My firsty pick for a hunt would be a salt water Croc. Ever read Capstick ? Death in the long grass etc ? Dave

I've read all the Capstick's. I saw Fiona Capstick at the Dallas Safari Show over the weekend. Right now I'm reading about Teddy Roosevelts adventures to Africa to collect trophys for the Smithsonian. Next, I'll turn my attention to Ruark (sp?).

The Africa hunts are really reasonable. My entire trip including airfare, trophy fees, lodging, taxidermy and shipping of the mounts back to the states cost about $9,000. That's pretty reasonable for 7 animals including Kudu, Impala, Zebra, Warthog, Gemsbok, Blue Wildebeast and a Duiker. All the mounts are either shoulder or pedestal except the Zebra (rug). I've known people that drop $7,000 to $8,000 just for one elk, caribou or bear.

Hunting in Africa will change you for the rest of your life. The place is overwhelming with beauty. I hunted in South Africa with Thaba Mmoyo Safari's. In fact my wife and I had dinner with them last night (they're in the states for the hunting shows) and consider them our valued friends and family. They're first rate country folks, like us, and run a first class operation. The accomodations are exquisite. I can get you some information if you'd like (I have my photo's and the accomodations on a CD), just send me a PM. You need to go and take your spouse or child for a memory of a lifetime!!!

Africa's in my dreams everynight now. I can't wait to get back.

Wow, that is a great price. I think I spent around 15k for two hunters to Ak and we had free airfare. I think When I do get to Africa it will probably be with a camera. Right now I am trying to save my pennys for a moose hunt. Last year we bought 160 acres for deer camp and its been a flood of expenses since. Tractor, implements, trailer, I had fiberglass blinds ( Mustang) brought up from Texas, food plots, getting a barn up in the spring. It has seriously cut into my travel saveings. But We are haveing a lot of fun for now. I have close to mint First editions of Teddy Roosevelts African Game trails Vols 1 and 2 plus Outdoor Pastimes of an American hunter. Excellent reading. Dave

Dang, lack of money!! Dang, expensive hobby's!!! Hunting + tractors + tools = Broke!! Why is it that the things we like the most cost the most!?

I've started my "swiss account" (meaning the wife doesn't know about it) to fund my next trip. My next trip will be more plains game. The 3rd and 4th trips will be Leopard and Buffalo.

I love reading about the adventures. There's few things better then reading a good book during the cold winter months.

Sorry about hijacking the thread folks, hunting's an addiction that has no cure. We require intensive therapy, preferably done while steadying the crosshairs. [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

LOL, yeah the only trouble for me is that the CFO hunts too ! so I cant really have a private hunting fund [img]/forums/images/icons/mad.gif[/img] oh well. You guys sure have a lot of good hunting in your area. I have hunted whitetails a few tims in Hill Country and over on the Edwards Plateu. I would really like to get after some of them pigs [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] I can taste the bacon already [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] Oh yeah and I clean my gun afterwords ! [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Dave

I was just talking to a guy that went to Africa to hunt elephant. When he returned home, there was a brand new BMW in the driveway. The license plate said "MYELFNT" [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

He now knows who's the boss.

[img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] Works for me. As long as I can keep my truck the Big Boss can drive what ever she likes. Just came in from the mail box with the new Cabelas big game adventures catalog . Drooooool [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] Dave

Like you must have done, I've got the wife talked into buying a couple of hundred acres for hunting and eventual retirement. (I played up that "leave a legacy for your children" argument, more on this in a moment) We'll probably look for a place out in west TX near Abilene. That area's pretty convenient to get to from Dallas and reasonably priced per acre. The deer aren't huge, but they're prolific. Also have a good supply of turkey, pigs and to a lesser extent some quail. We just need the economy to continue to improve, so we can get the money together.

When my wife and I got married, she had my wedding ring custom made with 5 diamonds. They stand for live, laugh, love, learn, leave a legacy. I tell everyone the 5 diamonds represent the African "Big 5". BTW: She doesn't see my humor and I found out there's just enough room for the dog and I to fit in his house.

I might be going to south TX, in the coming weeks, for some pigs. They shot over 300 on this particular ranch last year. The owner also breeds exotics like Kudu etc.