Thread: forms for one side of concrete wall

forms for one side of concrete wall

I will be adding a concrete wall inside my basement. It will be right against the exsisting concrete wall that is failing due to not enough rebar. Accordingly I will not be able to use ties. My question is to what is the minimum amount of bracing to use on the forms. I planned on using 4'x8' 3/4 inch plywood for the forms and 2"x4"s for the braces. What spacing should I use between braces to avoid blowout? The braces can be angled out to the floor and the ceiling framing joists. Thanks for any help.

Re: forms for one side of concrete wall

Minimum? Enough to hold the pressure of all that concrete wanting to push the forms into the basement.

What will hold the new wall at the bottom after the wall is poured? It will need to tie into something to keep it from sliding away from the old wall. Normally the wall is 'tied' to the footing with re-rod. The top would be a concern to me as well.

Bracing (if me) would go to the opposite wall, and be more than 2x4's (IMO). Avoid, if possible, having that wet concrete 'get away' into your basement, as your options are not many if that happens.

I would recommend a concrete contractor with experience be involved in your decisions. I think I would tie the new wall into the old one, if possible and if you are not going to remove the old one. But this is only based on what little I know about your total situation. Getting the ceiling joists to hold a lateral load may be a problem to your floor structure.

You don't have an easy solution to this re-wall project, IMO.

I wish you luck and success. (I've been close to your problem, but decided to sell the the father-in-law's house before launching the project to re-do his basement walls after he passed on).

Thanks for the reply. The wall will be tied in with the old one and the floor. Bracing to the opposite wall would be good but it is 48 feet away with stud walls in between them. I would love for a Pro. to do this, however none of the locals want to do it. I had a contractor do the south wall last summer, but he's not doing work anymore. I wasn't around then, so didn't get a chance to see how they braced it. Thanks for your thoughts, I for one don't want to see a blow out with several of yards of concrete going all over the floor.

Any update to this story??? What happened???

hoping for the best