Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Gravel driveway dust

Re: Gravel driveway dust

"Or maybe smart", They have proven time and time again that they are not smart. Because of their refusal to ever cooperate, I have stricken cat treats from the grocery list, I no longer let them in the garage on cold winter nights, and other similar privileges have been revoked.

"If you have coyotes" Where are the coyotes when I need them? Last winter they howled almost every night. This year I haven't heard a single one.

"I have a hunch your not a cat man Dan" That's exactly right. I gave them a chance, they blew it.

The cats are not good playmates for the kids, so I'm hoping the kids will get bored enough with them that the kids won't really notice if the cats just "disappear" some day.

Just because cats do not understand human concepts such as cooperation and privileges does not mean they are not smart. I doubt they will ever conform to your expectations and it is obvious that you do not understand what makes cats tick, so since you hate them so bad and they are such a thorn in your side I would suggest hauling them off to the pound or humane society. Your kids will get over it and your life will be a lot happier. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I would suggest getting another type of pet for your children but I have to wonder if they would only cause problems for you too. Maybe you could get them a goldfish or a hamster. At least they would not crap all over your yard. [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
    Chris

Hayseed - "I would suggest hauling them off to the pound or humane society"

The only thing stopping me is my wife. They're getting to be a thorn in her side too though, so it may just be a matter of time.

<font color="purple"> do not understand human concepts such as cooperation and privileges does not mean they are not smart. </font color>

My wife, (who has a brilliantly trained K-9 GSD partner), often describes our Ibizan Hound as the "smartest dog she has ever met"...because the hound only does what she wants to do [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] BTW, Ibizans have often been compared to cats, not just because they wash themselves similarly. Cats are definitely not dumb, they just have their own agenda.

Our dogs often tell us that using the words "good" and "dog" in the same sentence is redundant. Likewise, using the words "cat" and "training" in the same sentence is ridiculous. [img]/forums/images/icons/smirk.gif[/img]

I've seen "Trained Cat Owners " but have yet to see a Trained Cat.

Egon

Yep, my cats well let me know when their food bowl is not full enough, when their water bowl needs a refill and when the litter box is no longer fresh enough to suit them. They let me know when it is okay to pet them because if they don't want to be petted they get up and leave. Yep, they got me trained pretty well! [img]/forums/images/icons/blush.gif[/img]

One likes to chase a fuzzy ball and return it to me but I don't take credit for training him to do it. He just decided on his own that he liked to do it. Another cat meows "gezunheit" every time my wife or I sneezes. [img]/forums/images/icons/cool.gif[/img] They certainly bring a lot of joy to my life.
    Chris

Mosey,
    I have no idea if this works or not, but it may help you out
    Pet repeller

Try bleach; it worked where ammonia did not, when I was working at the wood shop (where there were a dozen or more cats). Sprinkle some bleach over your carport, and you may have to reapply every week or so, but it's cheap.

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll look into them. On a TBN thread, someone suggested a product called "Get Off My Garden" that is in the TSC Blue Book, but when I went to the store in Seymour, IN they didn't have any. They had some other stuff called "Havahart Repellent", so I got some of that. It's supposed to last 10 days. I put some on and it does have a strong odor. The ground is frozen now though and they can't dig anyway, so I don't know if it really works or not. About 4 months ago, not being able to dig didn't seem to matter to them, they just went on top. But, now that they're older they seem to only want to go where they can dig and cover it up.

I know something about cats... [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

We have a couple and there is one thing that they *really* hate that doesn't hurt them. Water. You might try something like a motion sprinkler. I've seen them for a lot less money than this - besides, what price is marital harmony worth? [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

But I'd expect if you use this you'll want to put up your car windows, at least. I'd also expect that after a couple of days (weeks?) that the cats would decide on their own that the carport wasn't a freindly place.

If you try it, let me know how well it works. I've always been curious to see if they are effective...Chris