Thread: Santa Clause, the Easter Bunny, or RATS!

Santa Clause, the Easter Bunny, or RATS!

If yall recall, TK (my wife) and I live in a shop building, with living quarters inside.

Sitting here in the living room over the past week or so we have been hearing scraping noises in the ceiling. After a couple of days, I finally put out some rat bait in the "attic". Two days ago TK notices some "flour" looking stuff on the floor, and we hear noises again, and then notice a real small hole in the ceiling, and the noise is coming from there. Sheetrock dust is coming out like the sand in an hourglass.

My reaction was to hollar and beat on the ceiling. The noise stops, I check my rat bait upstairs and see that somebody has been partaking.

Saturday after I get home from burgers at Mom's house, I find more "flour" on the floor, and Mr. Rat is at it again. I get a chair and get my head right up there and listen. After weighing all the factors, testing the windspeed, breaking wind, and clearing my throat, I make a decision. Mr. Rat is going to die. I get right at the ceiling, I still hear the sound, and I quickly RAM my pocket knife into the ceiling, hoping to stick Mr. Rat in the face. Turns out that all that is left on my side of the sheetrock is the paint, and my knuckles disappeared into the ceiling. When I pulled the knife back, I check the blade. No blood. Missed.

However, Mr. Rat is now quiet again. In fact, I venture to say he has probably wet himself. But now, here I am examining the situation that includes the sudden appearance of a 2" hole in the ceiling, and the prospect of a RAT coming down through there. With available materials, I seal the hole (tin foil and duct tape). But before doing so, I poke a package of rat bait up through the hole. Hopefully, Mr. Rat, after having encountered an unexepected attack from his workings, will settle down to a nice meal. His final one.
    Alan L. - Texas
    North of Mustang
    South of Bugtussle
    On the Banks of Buck Creek

Re: Santa Clause, the Easter Bunny, or RATS!

Next time try a 12 bore with #8 shot. A little more coverage.

You may have to locate the entrance point as the elimation of one will only be a temporary solution.

Egon

Are you sure it's a rat? Could it be a squirrel, chipmunk, or other member of the rodent family? Squirrels are fairly common in attics around here.

Steve

Based on various sightings, and the size of the turds I find, its definitely a rat. More than one in the infestation. I am going the poison method this time, as they are really doing some damage, and I haven't mastered the trap baiting art where they don't run off with the bait. We spent all day cleaning out the shop building (outside the living quarters) today, and found more signs, plus a full-size rat was in the hot water heater closet. He flattedn out and went under the sheetrock into the wall of a bathroom where the bottom plate is missing due to there being so many pipes in the wall. Disgusting.

I'm just about pissed enough to get out the shotgun and start blasting away.
    Alan L. - Texas
    North of Mustang
    South of Bugtussle
    On the Banks of Buck Creek

<font color="blue"> I haven't mastered the trap baiting art where they don't run off with the bait. </font color>

If they're springing the trap but still getting away, try driving some box nails up from the bottom of the trap.

good luck,
    particleman

Alan,

I don't know that I'd resort to a shotgun, that would leave some pretty big holes. However, 22 birdshot from a small revolver might be usable. At least the holes would be smaller, you just have to watch out for things like wiring, plumbing and the wedding album. [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

Steve

Would it be possible to fumigate the attic so they will leave. I would not know what to use but there must be someone here who does.

Its a very upsetting type of experience as one feels so helpless. Had squirrels in the attic once but playing heavy metal tunes finnally evicted them. Rats will be much more difficult.

Egon

Cambridge, New York in beautiful Washington County, next to Vermont

The first thing that I would do is sprinkle moth balls throughout the attic. All critters hate that, and it might drive them out.

You gotta be an awful good shot to hit a rat with a gun, or else you gotta get awful close!
    Rich
    "What a long strange trip it's been."

<font color="blue">Had squirrels in the attic once but playing heavy metal tunes finnally evicted them. Rats will be much more difficult.</font color>
    [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

Maybe some Rap "music" would run the rats out! [img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
    Chris

Could depend a lot on the velocity.

Egon