Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Red Pepper vs Red Cayenne Pepper

Red Pepper vs Red Cayenne Pepper

Is Ground Red Pepper the same thing as Ground Cayenne Red Pepper? A lady at Walmart told me her husband is some kind of expert and said it is the same thing.

Re: Red Pepper vs Red Cayenne Pepper

Cayenne pepper is an actual type of pepper - kind of has the same shape/surface as a carrot. Ripe Cayennes are red.

Ground red pepper could be cayenne, but I don't think it would make very good marketing sense to advertise what is actually pure, ground, red, cayenne pepper as simply "ground, red" pepper.

Peppers are really fun to grow. Living up here, I would start them inside in about March under flourescent lights and then transfer them outside in mid-June. I tried a variety of Jalapenos that had fruit in 66 days. I also grew some Serranos which took a little longer - 90 days.

We would eat as many as we could fresh (salsa, pasta sauce, nachos, etc.), then I would experiment with different hot sauces, and the rest I would dry and grind up in to flakes.

I've found that home-made hot pepper products are very highly appreciated as Christmas gifts amongst aficionados of the Capsicum.

Strings of drying red peppers always look nice and definetly add substance to many a dish.

Some smaller bushed varieties can be kept inside overwinter as they are a perenial.

Sweet peppers also are a blessing on the dinner table.

Egon

Paprika is a "ground red pepper" and tastes not much like cayanne.

In my mind "ground red pepper" could be cayanne, but might not be. Is ground meat the same as ground chuck?
    Gary
    ----------------------------------------------
    Hey! Aren't you supposed to be working?

I always thought red pepper was cayenne peppers.

Speaking of cayenne peppers, My plants are still producing, even though it is January. I have several planted in pots and the weather has not yet gotten cold enough to kill them. They do look kinda anemic but that is probably due to neglect. I like winter peppers... don't seem to be quite as hot. If I protect my peppers from frost I might expect them to last three or four years. Frost got my seven foot jalepeno plant last winter. It was four years old and I forgot to cover it and it froze.
    Chris

Ever grow any Habenero's ?

Yeah, we grew them one year... were going to make up a spray for our plants to keep the bugs off. My wife chopped up a bunch of them but before she could proceed any further her hands were burning like they were on fire so that project went into the compost pile... literally! [img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] I gave all my habanero peppers to my neighbor for the rest of the summer. Not sure what they did with those hot l'il suckers! Now I stick with jalapenos, cayenne and banana peppers.
    Chris

Slice them up,put them in a dehydrator and then blend them,take care....when you take the lid off the blender have it pointed away from you and hold out the door at the same time....I have sprinkled some on peoples pizza......LOL
    My wife made habenero jelly.......it was great...was not that hot ...if you can believe that...
    I read somewhere where a company that makes a caulking flavored the caulking with habenero to keep the rodents from chewing through the caulking....

habanero caulk... now that is an idea. Just have to make sure you don't smooth the bead with your finger... it might end up somewhere else that could cause you some discomfort if you didn't thoroughly wash your hands when done. [img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
    Chris

That could be bad..........