Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: US and world economy

Re: US and world economy

You're right on that. What I've encountered is that people from outside Indiana have the perception that PU is a private school. Some guy even asked if "that was one of those Ivy League schools?" [img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/smirk.gif[/img]

Boy did I get my money's worth. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
    Eric

<font color="blue"> One of my best buddies' dad was an engineer for 3M, with no degree. After 30 years and no more promotion potential because of the lack of a degree, he retired. They had to hire three degreed engineers to replace him, at no small cost.
    </font color>
    Yeah ... so true .... I thought it pretty funny that I'm at the limit of "promotion potential" ... but they still broke their own rules and paid major bucks and major headaches to move me to the US and to HQ (the company policy is no moves to non-degreed poeple, and really is only interested in Engineering-related degrees). Even with the supposed relaxation of the immigration rules under NAFTA ... it's pretty hard for them to justify moving someone to the US ... they basically need to prove that nobody in the US has the qualification (or, in the case of I/S people, that no one is available - HB-1).
    Most of the people coming to me for expertise are engineers ... fun to train ... [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
    I'm one of the few in this department (in the current economic climate) not being offered a retirement package and was actually told I wouldn't be offered one as they could not afford to replace me until the computer systems I support are replaced ... and the date for the replacement keeps getting moved out. Guess I'm safe until I want to retire [img]/forums/images/icons/cool.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/cool.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
    pete
    it's a shame that common sense isn't

Eh, Pete......
    You like hockey, eh?
    [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
    Gary
    Bluegrass Music ...
    Finger-pickin' good!

If you folks want to put your faith in those Demi/Publicans good for you, they have solved our problems for many years now. I think of them as Power/Elite's, who need our money and votes to keep themselves in power. I have many??? but no answeres. Mac

Mac,
    unfortunately, the system is set up in such as way that you get to choose only the lesser of evils ... unless it's a recall situation such as California now has ... where it's a free-for-all and you get to choose the lesser of many, many evils.
    But ... the alternative .... well ... look at Cuba ....

pete

Pete,
    Hopefully that kinda stuff stays in California.
    Can you imagine if that were to happen in Florida?
    OMG! [img]/forums/images/icons/blush.gif[/img]
    They couldn't figure out a ballot for two people!!! [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
    Gary
    Bluegrass Music ...
    Finger-pickin' good!

Gary ... maybe it's just me ... but I got the impression that it was more of a problem with counting than voting. When you start debating how deep a dimple counts as a punched chad .... well, it's time to hire some professionals instead of the ..... well, best stop there.

Still, it gives the professional whiners something to whine about .... even now after several studies proved conclusively that the treehugger couldn't have won no matter how many chads he dangled ... LOL

pete

And..... the party is still fuming!!!!
    Gary
    Bluegrass Music ...
    Finger-pickin' good!