Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: US and world economy

Re: US and world economy

As the holder of BA's in both political science AND sociology, I can tell you they do not really qualify one for much of anything except admission to graduate school.

I remember my kids' Mom calling me about our daughter when she had announced she intended to major in political science as an undergrad. I was asked to see what I could do to talk her out of it. It took all of about five minutes.

I simply told her I thought it was a wonderful choice and, that if she didn't go on to law school as she was planning, with that degree she could do what I did with mine and come to work for me leasing semi tractors! [img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

She was a business major the very next day. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] She'll finish her law degree in May so it probably didn't really matter, but I still enjoy teasing her about it. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

<font color="blue"> Standing joke in NC is "what does a Carolina graduate say to a NC State graduate?"
    "Welcome to McDonalds!" </font color>

That's pretty much a standard in any state with two major schools or between any two big rivals. Here in Indiana the bulk of folks are IU people but I did hear a good one going the other way I'll share here.

A Notre Dame grad, a Purdue grad and an Indiana grad are sitting at a bar and it's time to order. The Notre Dame grad, proud to have been one of 'The Fighting Irish' orders up an Irish Whisky. The Purdue grad orders the drink named after his school's mascot and has a Boilermaker. The IU grad speaks up and says, "I'll have a Fifteen."

The bartender looks at him quizzically and says, "What did you order?"

The Hurryin' Hoosier speaks up proudly and says, "I ordered a Fifteen. You know... a seven and seven..." [img]/forums/images/icons/smirk.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

Thought that was pretty funny [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img].

My parents are both IU grads - lived there for a while (in Bloomington) myself. But when it came time to actually try and get an education I chose Purdue [img]/forums/images/icons/smirk.gif[/img]...

We're pretty fortunate here with three major schools like this. Certainly a Notre Dame degree will get you an interview about anywhere (what happens from then, of course, is up to you). Both Indiana and Purdue have business schools ranked in the top ten nationally year in and year out.

My son has his BS in Business from Purdue while my daughter will be entering her final year at IU Law School next month. Her BS in Business is from Indiana. Needless to say, it makes for some interesting family dinners (like the sibling rivalry needed THIS).

&gt;&gt;Certainly a Notre Dame degree will get you an interview about anywhere (what happens from then, of course, is up to you).

I agree with that...I think many overemphasize the importance a "good" degree will have on your life. I think you summed it up pretty well...it may give you an edge on getting your first job...but after that, I am don't think anyone cares where you went to school or what your grades are...after 6 months of work, its what you did at work for the past 6 months that matters more than the 4 or more years you spent in college....never once after my first job did anyone ask where I went to school, what my grades where etc...it was what did you do in your last position.

Certainly if one can get into a top school, and can pay for it without mortgaging the next 15 years of your life (or your parents), than it is probably a good thing, but an awful lot of people would be just as well of going to the local state school (or in some cases even a community college), paying your tuition as you go and starting your working life without being in debt upto your eyeballs.

I have a hard time beleiving that a $160-$200,000 education is cost effective way to spend your money...especially if you need to borrow it and be burden with it when you are done.

"I think many overemphasize the importance a "good" degree will have on your life."

TRUE DAT! I'll take experience over book-learning anyday. [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
    Gary
    Bluegrass Music ...
    Finger-pickin' good!

<font color="blue"> "I think many overemphasize the importance a "good" degree will have on your life."

TRUE DAT! I'll take experience over book-learning anyday. </font color>

One of my favorites is actually about my brother. My folks sent him to Yale, at fair personal sacrifice, for four years. He also took out some loans - I don't know the exact $$$ figure, but it was a lot of money.

He got a degree in American History. When he got out of college he started as a used car salesman, then moved into computer systems sales. He's still doing sales - has moved into another industry.

Not sure how the expensive degree (which has nothing to do with sales or business) could possibly have done much good. But it is just another one of life's little mysteries - there's lots of stuff that goes on that I don't understand... [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    TRUE DAT! I'll take experience over book-learning anyday

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, but if you can get both together, then you've got something. The book-learning, school, degree, or whatever is a very good start. As has already been mentioned, what you do with it then is up to you. No college, no degree can teach you everything about any topic, but it can teach you some basics, and perhaps more importantly, how to research or find the information you need to do whatever it is you want to do.

That's funny. [img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

I got my BS in Construction Engineering and Management, 1988 from PU. I wholeheartedly agree that a degree does not automatically render you smart, or better.

One of my best buddies' dad was an engineer for 3M, with no degree. After 30 years and no more promotion potential because of the lack of a degree, he retired. They had to hire three degreed engineers to replace him, at no small cost.

The moral of the story is the degree doesn't make you better, but without one, alot of doors will remain closed forever. I don't think this is right, but I'm a pragmatist. It is what the situation is, and even if I don't agree with it, I have to deal with it.

The PU degree has opened a few doors for me over the years, but after that I had to sink or swim on my own merits.
    Eric

One of the funniest things to me about the Purdue University degree is the fact that it's valued even more outside Indiana than it is here. I think it's that "expert from afar" thing.