Thread: Re-Hanging folding closet doors

Re-Hanging folding closet doors

Took them down for painting, can't get the darn things back up. Any tips? [img]/forums/images/icons/blush.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/mad.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/mad.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/mad.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/mad.gif[/img]

The problem is getting the pin part back into the upper track. Bottom is in, top slider (closest to center of opening) no problem, but the to hinge pin just doesn't want to go in.

The pin is T shaped, it came out by lifting up & sliding towards the side casing after I had removed a screw that held it's "socket" in place.

HELP!!!!!!

Hazmat

Re: Re-Hanging folding closet doors

Lets talk about the right hand side door. Usually, there is a sliding plastic spring loaded thingy on the top left hand side of the rail for the part of the door that moves. On the bottom and top on the right hand side of the door frame there are fixed sort of holes in brackets. The bottom is screwed to the floor, the top is kind of screwed to the top rail.
    Fold the door up and place the bottom door pin in the bottom bracket.
    If the top (right side) door pin is spring loaded, push it down with your finger and kind of roll the door so that the top pin will line up with the hole bracket and let go so the pin pops into the hole.
    If the top right pin (remember we are talking about a right side door) isn't spring loaded, losen the sliding hole bracket so it slides in the rail. Move it out a few inches to the left and line the top pin up with the hole and move both of them back into the corner and tighten it back up.
    Now hold down the moving top pin, line the top of the door and the spring loaded thing up and let go of the pin.
    Make sense?

Brian, it makes perfect sense, but my door is setup a bit different. Maybe they make them different in the Frozen White North [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] Actually I've seen the type you described before.

Using the same right door example, lets see If I can give a better description.

Pin on top left of door is same spring loaded plastic thingy that rides in the track across the door.

The right side of the door has a fixed pin top & bottom (no springs),

The BOTTOM bracket (screwed to the jamb near the floor) is spring loaded.

The TOP bracket slides in the track on top & has a means of locking down in one spot. It is two pieces, when they are pulled apart slightly it will slide, when you push them together it stays put. There is a piece of metal & a screw you can install to keep them together.

The top pin is a T shape. I believe the door is designed to hang from the top bracket vs, resting on the bottom one. I just can't seem to get the pin back into the bracket.

Looking for the majic trick that it takes, or maybe I've got to dissasmele the track & remount it allready assembled [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img]
    Hazmat

I hate that type of closet door...could never keep them on the tracks,get one put back on a one of the kids would open it and....well I am going to change all of mine to the slider type.

<font color="blue"> hate that type of closet door </font color>

You, me and everybody else I've talked to about them [img]/forums/images/icons/mad.gif[/img]
    Hazmat

I fixed the last one of those I had by placing each end on a brick. I then danced on the midlle part. I weigh 260 lbs, so this was a very effective fix. The "door" was oak, so the resulting fragments made pretty good kindling.

Before finding this method, I had actually installed the thing only to find it was slightly too big for the opening. I had been wondering why the previous home owner had not installed it.

Chuck

Chuck I like your method. Too bad my doors are masonite &amp; probably wouldn't put out more energy in the stove than it would take me to smash them to pieces.

I did finally get them installed! Sometimes you just need to walk away for a couple days &amp; cool off. I installed the screws on the top brackets fixing them in place, then was able to get the doors hung although in the wrong place. then I loostened the screw &amp; adjusted the door. Only took a few minutes.

Just one of those things, not obvious how to do it, &amp; didn't have any instructions for guidance.
    Hazmat