Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Garden

New Garden

Since last summer was our first summer of country living we were caught up in just being in a beautiful setting and getting critters. We did learn one thing from our friends who are now on this forum. Always, Always have pens built before bringing home critters. Especially pigs, sure turned the city truck into a country truck FAST.

Anyway we are starting to till for our garden this year, until the snow hits, I haven't had a garden since the stone age and do not want to plant more than is necessary. There are two of us and I would like to be able to can and/or freeze veggies for the winter. I have never in my life canned before but I have prepared veggies for the freezer.

Any suggestions re crops, prep, etc will be appreciated. Bob/Ont has helped me with the bean crop and preparing the area. So we know that much, I think.

Thanks so much.
    EI

Re: New Garden

Hi again, EI

Planting for two is a bit of a challenge. I do essentially the same thing, and even the smallest packages of seeds will give you more than you need. I was up to my eyeballs in string beans and cukes this year!

However, you can do the same thing I did. Thin aggressively, save the best for you and Dennis, and feed the rest to the critters. That way, it's not going to waste, and the animals love the fresh veggies almost as much as we do!

Also, many food pantry operations like getting fresh veggies in season, or you can give them to your neighbors. That'll make you some friends too.

Around here, ya gotta lock yer car doors when ya go shopping, or you'll come back to a back seat fulla zucchini!

Thanks, you know I keep forgetting things like when I thin it out give it to the critters. I am finally remembering to sort out our leftovers that we give to the critters. The only reason I sort is because I don't give Bacon and Eggs (pigs) any meat.

I didn't even have cukes on my list DUH - so much to learn so little time
    EI

<font color="purple"> Around here, ya gotta lock yer car doors when ya go shopping, or you'll come back to a back seat fulla zucchini </font color>

This is not exactly garden related (but it is small town related [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] ).

Recent police report item in my newly-adopted small AZ town was that a guy returned to his vehicle after shopping to find that a CD player had been installed [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

An overabundance of Zuchini led us to place some on a road side table with a sign Free, Help yourself. They all finally disappeared.

Egon

No Zuchini

Well I certainly learned one fact to follow don't plant a lot of zuchini. Now what about squash?

Thanks
    EI

Re: No Zuchini

they make alot also just 5-6 hills should keep you and "ham &amp; eggs" happy!

But if you do get carried away you might could plant for 4 then grow them pick them fix them and send mine same day shipping!

I like that and I am sure you would not mind!
    Farm living what a life!!

Depends on if you want summer or winter squash, there are several varieties of each. Zukes, crookneck and patty pan are nice summer choices. Butternut, buttercup, and acorn are tasty winter ones.
    Argee [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Talking about squash reminded me that I was told (can't remember where) that pumpkin seeds are a natural wormer for sheep and goats. Dunno it that extends to squash or not, but I do know my sheep came a-runnin' when I busted open a few pumpkins on the ground for 'em.

Thank You

Gee Fawteen I wonder how many years it will be when I have just a part of the knowledge that you and the others on this board have. Pumpkins for sheeps and goats I am going to try it. I am always looking for extra goodies for all of my critters and it seems like the sheep and goat are the hardest to please. I do give them popcorn sometimes and they both love that. Plus if it helps with worms it would sure be better than shoving that BIG pill down their throat. YUCK.

Thanks so much for the tip. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
    EI