Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Underground power lines

Underground power lines

We recently moved to a new place in the country. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
    The power line coming to my pole in the back yard is underground. Does anyone know if there is any danger in regularly driving over the buried cable. I don't know how far down it is buried. In fact, I don't know exactly which way it runs once underground. I am going to get a metal detector as I am planning on doing some landscaping and tree planting - obviously need to locate anything that may be a hazard before digging! We like to park our Excursion in an area that requires us to drive past the pole a few feet away from it. The rig weighs up to 8,000 lbs, depending on people, contents, and fuel level. Anyone know if any reason to be concerned?

Thanks!

Terry

Re: Underground power lines

I don't think you need to worry at all about driving over the lines. But contact your utility if concerned.
    Also, you can call "Digger Hotline" at anytime and have the lines marked by them. Probably a good idea, and then you can take a picture of it and know pretty well where the lines are. [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

hi, if they were buried properly in the first place you should be alright , when they are put in , at least where im at they have to be two feet deep, sand in the bottom an some more on top an then sometimes a plank on top of the sand then inspected an back filled its also a good idea to throw some red tape or something in along the ditch then if someone is ever digging there again and sees the tape they will know to be careful, it should be fine anyway it should be compacted enough by now and i don,t think anything would punture the cable anyway it,s probably armor coated (teck i think its called)i don,t think you have to worry , hope this helps

You need to call the power company or "digger hotline" before doing any digging in the area. Don't rely on your metal detector. Its a free service and if you don't use it you could get hurt and also open yourself up to liability if you hit a line. Even if you're not going to dig, just for your own peace of mind and in planning for future projects, you should have them come out and mark the line.

Having gone through one of these lines and luckily lived to tell about it you definitely need to have them out to mark the lines. In my case they marked them wrong!! Luckily for me as the bill for that the guy said would have been around $20,000. As far as driving over it I don't think you could hurt one of those wires if you drove over the wire itself everyday. They are very tough although they dont' hold up to a trencher very well. [img]/forums/images/icons/blush.gif[/img]

I know from first hand experience if you hit a 200 amp line with a shovel that it will bite the end of your shovel off and make you fill your pants!!!!!!! [img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
    Argee [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

i have seen a cat hit a buried cable and it blew a chunk out of the blade, so its certainly dangerous

Thanks for all the advice! I'm not one to take chances with power lines, but I was unaware of the Digger Hotline. I had thought about just calling the power company to have them advise me and I was pretty sure there was no way to hurt the cables by driving over them - just always better to ask!

We all know it, but I'll say again, it is a real blessing to be able to seek advice from so many people I only know through this computer!

Blessings to all this year,

Terry

An undeground power line is only a danger when you dig. An above ground is always in danger on being hit by anything high enough or due to high winds, ice, storms. I would prefer the wires come down at the edge of the property instead of through the middle of my land,.

Recently was sent to dig trench for underground power lines. Down 4 feet, put in 6" of sand and more sand on top of schedule 40 pipe ( I think it was 40). Backfilled within 10" of top and layed yellow construction tape, then finished. It's the first time required to use sand around schedule 40 and marking tape. Both, make perfect sense though.