Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: X-mas tree survey

X-mas tree survey

Just curious. For those of you celebrating, what did you do for a tree this holiday? Artificial, live cut tree, or live balled tree?

I know there are tree farms for holiday trees, but we like the idea of using one for the holiday and then (if it lives through the ordeal) re-planting it on the farm. This year we got two live balled trees. One 5'-6' tall and a smaller 1+' tree.

We like Home Depot too. They have a one year guarantee on live trees, so if they die, you can get your money back and can get another.

- Gerald

Re: X-mas tree survey

I maintain a cedar grove in a corner of my property just for Christmas trees, about 30 native trees I keep trimmed, sprayed, and fertilized. I harvest them at 16', the height of my living area. A suspended ceiling fan has to come down to erect and take it down and I cable it to the ceiling. 1000 lights, 1/2 gallon of water a day, and there's always a bell hanging at my dog's tail's height so plenty of angels get their wings. Goes up 2 to 3 weeks before Christmas and I just completed the takedown last night. I "recycle" by making fenceposts out of them with the year carved in it.

Wow, that's some living area! I thought my 9' ceilings were high.

Very impressive though. The fence posts will be a nice thing to look back upon down the road.

- G

It is our family tradition to go the weekend after Thanksgiving and cut down a live tree. We take three trucks (Ours, Brother-in-law and family, Mother/Father-in-law), and trek up about 20 miles to pick out the perfect tree at a Tree Farm.

Afterwards we eat hotdogs and hot chocolate (at the Tree Farm), and then head over to a local country store and pick up our egg nog (in glass bottles) to enjoy while we trim our trees.

:: D A V E
    :: g a t o r b o y

<font color="blue"> ...This year we got two live balled trees. One 5'-6' tall and a smaller 1+' tree... </font color>

That sounds like a terrific idea...!

How much did the 5/6' unit cost?

The last couple years, I've been buying assorted pine seedlings to plant from our county conservative...

But I think you have a swell idea on the replanting aspect...[img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

(My only problem... would be planting it in the Northeast in the middle of Winter...?) [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

Hmm, I think it was $55 for a Colorado Spruce, but we had a 10% coupon on top of that. The smaller one was like $14. Not a bad deal when you consider what they want for a nice cut tree.

We're NE-ish too. (SW PA) We haven't taken it out yet, but I just plan on moving it outside and making sure it gets watered etc. Then, in early spring replanting it.

- Gerald

Trees we have, so we just harvest the one we want and drag it home. Or at least we did so till the dogs decided it was an indoor pit stop for them! [img]/forums/images/icons/blush.gif[/img]

The first year we were married, my wife pointed down the meadow to a 16' tall balsam fir she wanted as a christmas tree. Armed with a bow saw and wearing old snowshoes that had to be duct taped to my feet, I went down there and cut that tree down. There was about two feet of snow in the meadow, so dragging that thing uphill about 200 yards was <font color="blue"> very </font color> hard work! Took me a couple hours of pure grunt work to get it home. Then my wife came out and told me she only wanted the top four feet!!! [img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

Pete

<font color="blue"> Took me a couple hours of pure grunt work to get it home. Then my wife came out and told me she only wanted the top four feet!!!
    </font color>

Pete don't just love them when they do something cute?

We go with cut live douglas fir trees from the grocery store for about $30 for a 6-7 footer. We checked into trees that could be planted, but none of the ones that look like Christmas trees (other than maybe cedar) will grow very well here. Plus they were $100. The used trees go to the bottom of my tank (pond) for the fish.
    Alan L. - Texas
    North of Mustang
    South of Bugtussle
    On the Banks of Buck Creek

<font color="blue"> Pete don't just love them when they do something cute? </font color>

Do you want an honest reply..?
    [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
    Pete