Thread: stain and stripping tables

stain and stripping tables

I have this idea that I want to take my tables in the living room down to the bare wood, and then stain them looking like a flag. I know how to get to the wood but how do I go about staining the wood the old used paint look. See I don't even know what to call it and am more then likely not making any sense asking the question.
    I am not sure if I paint the colors with paint then wipe off all I can or if they make stain for this...okay so I do not ramble on forever I will see if anyone knows what I am asking about...and MANY THANKS just for trying to figure it out...
    [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
    Farm living what a life!!

Re: stain and stripping tables

I don't know if you want to stain. Sounds like a glaze, or a real thin paint. How about a dry brush, with a light sanding afterwords. I am sure there are a few people out there who know a lot more about this them me, so I will let them jump in. One word of advice? Try whatever you plan to do on some scrap wood first. Better to mess up a $3 board, then a table.
    Paul Bradway

Thanks Paul you did get the idea I was talking about! [img]/forums/images/icons/blush.gif[/img]

yup, I got it. You want it to look like someone painted it a LONG time ago. Right?
    Paul Bradway

yes that is what I am trying to do... So I am hoping before I go out and buy the things to do it with I could get an idea of what I was trying to go out and buy... [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

Hi Tammy:

I think you have a couple of options. One would be to use Aniline Dye instead of stain. This might give you the look you want. There's instructions at This hgtv.com web page.

Another option would be to use a Crackled Paint look. It gives the look of old weathered crackled paint. There are paints you can buy that will do this or you can make it yourself following directions Like this yahoo.com web page shows

Well if the project isn't done already... A simple approach might be to do a decent job painting the flag, let it dry real well, beating it up a bit (artificial aging/distressing) with chains, tools, hammers, whatever and then putting a slightly less than clear glaze on it. Something with a little milky grey cast to it or whatever your artistic liscense is valid for. Shold imitate the patina of age and use and not be so hard to do. The flag shouldn't be done in real brilliant vibrant collor but slightly subdued flattened shades.

And for the final touch at forgery... make it a 48 star flag!

This presumes you intended a US flag not Lone Star.

Patrick
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"