Thread: Buying Seed

Buying Seed

Okay here I was sitting with catalogs, and more catalogs regarding seed. Compared prices and what each company has to offer. I am in a quandry though, where is the best place to get seed. Go the catalog route or get it at the Farm co-op in our area? If the catalog is the better route does anybody have any suggestions as to who and who not to use?

Thanks!
    EI

Re: Buying Seed

<font color="blue">where is the best place to get seed.</font color>

The Coop is going to have seeds that have been tested and grow well for your region. If you decide to go the catalog route <font color="red">Gurney's Seed &amp; Nursery Co.</font color> or <font color="red">Jung Quality Seeds</font color> are good bets. For heirloom seeds try <font color="red">Seed Savers Exchange</font color>
    Argee [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Re: Buying Seed

Mawnin', EI!

I usetabe a 'seed snob', only used seeds from the big name mail order houses, and a place here in Maine called Johnny's Seeds.

They were fine, and (except for Johnny's) the prices were good. One year, I didn't get my order in in time, and wound up using seeds off the rack at the local hardware.

And ya know what? Couldn't tell the difference. A Detroit Red beet is the same no matter where you get the seeds from. Since then, I get everything locally, and only order what I can't find.

JMHO, YMMV...[img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

THANK YOU

Well Dennis was right and your answers proved it. He said Co-op all along.

Thank you so much for the help!
    EI