Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Smoked my Skilsaw

Smoked my Skilsaw

I smoked my skilsaw last week while cutting some 8/4 oak and now need a new set of brushes and brusholders. Does anyone know of a mailorder or internet supplier of parts for Skilsaw. I'd like to replace the brushes and brushholders on the saw if I can.

Re: Smoked my Skilsaw

<font color="blue"> I smoked my skilsaw last week while cutting some 8/4 oak </font color>

If you smoked it cutting 8/4 oak you may need more than brushes. If it got real hot you could have cooked the armature, if so your cost of repair just went way up. Don't know what they (Skil) cost new, but I'd be considering a new one.
    Argee [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

&gt;&gt; If it got real hot you could have cooked the armature

It got real hot - smoke was coming out of it and the ends of the brush-holders are a little burnt. Is there any way to check the armature to see if its OK. The nearest service center is ~40 miles away and the saw cost me about $50 when I bought it 15 years ago, so I don't want to put much into it.

I think I'd look into a new saw. I've used the 13 amp Makitas for years on the job day in...day out. They have held up pretty well. They've been dropped off roofs and decks and still operate. I've even stopped them ripping wet PT 2x. You can pick them up for around $118, even less if you find them on sale. I noticed they introduced a 15 amp unit which might fill your needs. Porter Cable also offers a 15 amp model. Used one on a job a couple of times, has a lot of power. Hitachi also offers a nice saw for about a $100 that holds up well for daily use. Just make sure your using an adequately sized extension cord when operating your saw, as a light weight cord will cause voltage drop which equates to heat.

If your going to be ripping a lot of this 8/4 oak maybe you should look in to a good table saw.

Replace the saw like others have suggested. The fix would be almost the cost of a new one and being 15 years old it's time for retirement. That's what happens to us old fellows when we can't keep up anymore. Just as an add on What type blade are you using?

Egon

<font color="blue"> That's what happens to us old fellows when we can't keep up anymore. </font color>

Boy that's the truth. Just like that old saw "The spirits willing but the ole body ain't" [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

I've installed a "quick disconnect" feature on both of my skillsaws. [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] If you get into trouble, just pull on the cord and it will come apart at the electrical tape, thereby shutting off the power. [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

Steve

&gt;&gt; Just as an add on What type blade are you using?

I had a Black and Decker Piranha blade on the saw. I've been using them for years and they have always done a good job for me. I usually get at least 3 resharpenings out of them, so by the time they go in the trash they've been around the block a few times. I'm using Forrest blades and the Piranhas on my tablesaw and am real impressed with the cut quality of the Forrest blade.

Thanks for the advice re the brushes. I was hoping for a &lt;$20 repair to get a few more years out of the saw, but it sounds like replacement might be my best bet.

Replace the saw, don't spend any money fixing it. I have the Porter Cable 15 Amp Framers Saw and love it. It has a magnesium base that is very sturdy and light weight. It comes in Left and Right hand models - you can see the line you're cutting. If you're going to be cutting a lot of wood, invest in carbide blades, the difference between carbide and steel blades is amazing.