Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Smoked my Skilsaw

Re: Smoked my Skilsaw

>> If your going to be ripping a lot of this 8/4 oak maybe you should look in to a good table saw.

The oak gave my tablesaw a workout also. I built a workbench with the oak and used the Skilsaw to square up the ends of the benchtop after I glued it up. The benchtop is around 100 lbs and a little bit too big for me to run through the tablesaw.

SHF,
    And for what reason did you "have" to install the taped "quick disconnect"........? Did ya cut through the cord once or twice? [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Jerry

<font color="blue"> The oak gave my tablesaw a workout also. </font color>

For ripping oak and other hardwood I use a blade with very few teeth and deep gullets to exhaust the waste. I have one ten inch rip blade with 4 teeth. It's definitely for rough cutting as the edge of the board is pretty ugly after ripping. [img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
    Argee [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

<font color="purple"> For ripping oak and other hardwood I use a blade with very few teeth and deep </font color>

Ripping solid wood, esp hardwood, is likely the most demanding task for a table saw. Many things can improve performance, including special blades as Argee mentions. This is also an area that benefits from HP and three-phase motors. Still, you can rip just about anything, with just about any saw, by taking your time in the feed (same as you would use a BX2200 to do the work of a B2910, only slower).

my goodness, Andy ... if you're using Forrest blades on the tablesaw ... you can afford to replace an old circ saw! The current ones cost less than a Forrest blade! The guys at the wordworking club here swear by Forrester ... but spending well over $100 for a blade hasn't quite made sense to me yet ...
    it's a shame that common sense isn't

Some people might call it cutting through the cord. I prefer to think of it as testing the saw's electrical ground. [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] It works real good. On both saws, too.

Steve

Those saw's come with too long a cord anyway!

Egon

&gt;&gt; my goodness, Andy ... if you're using Forrest blades on the tablesaw ... you can afford to replace an old circ saw!

You're right, I can afford it, but I was hoping to avoid the expense for a tool which doesn't get a lot of use.

Regarding the Forrest blades, I've seen a big difference compared to what I used to use and am using the jointer a lot less to clean up stock after ripping to size on the saw. Also, when I purchased the blade it was less than $100, not much, but it was less.

Mine are 2 inches shorter now [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] The interesting thing is that I haven't had a problem with either saw sucking up the cord since I taped them back together. Maybe I should just tape a loop in the cord of the next one as soon as I get it. [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

Steve

S-B Power Tools, 1-216-447-0250, 5541 Canal Road, Cleveland, OH 44125. If they don't have it it is not to be had, they are the best location to locate parts for your saw and they ship UPS. [img]/forums/images/icons/smirk.gif[/img]