Thread: BUILDING NEW HOUSE

BUILDING NEW HOUSE

I HAVE BEEN READING ABOUT YOU ALL BUILDING YOUR HOUSES WITH MUCH ENJOYMENT. THE CONTRACTOR SAID HE SHOULD START OURS IN MARCH OR APRIL SO WE ARE MAKING PLANS I HAVE ONE QUESTION FOR NOW AND MILLION LATER. I CAN USE COPPER OR PVC FOR PLUMBING WHICH IS BEST

Re: BUILDING NEW HOUSE

We have had an ongoing remodeling job for almost two years now and every foot of pipe is copper. Looking long term, it seemed to me like a more secure way to go. A copper line with the same size inside diameter has a smaller outside diameter than the corresponding size PVC, so when you pipe the house you can fit copper into places where PVC cannot go. In a remodel this is a big consideration. When I bore the plate or the sill for the copper I have to take out much less wood than the larger hole for PVC would require. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] I can run copper just about as fast as I can PVC, all things considered, since you fit eveything up first and then solder-solder-solder. [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
    CJDave

For the feed lines I would use nothing but copper. For the drains, PVC would be fine. You want the best? Cast iron drains. You will not hear the water running, and it will last over 100 years.
    Paul Bradway

Watched This Old House last night and they were using PEX. I think that;s how it spelled. Basically a semi flexable tubing that you run like romex. Then a transition is made to copper for the attachment of fixtures. Looked really neat.
    Gary
    ----------------------------------------------
    Hey! Aren't you supposed to be working?

<font color="blue"> Watched This Old House last night and they were using PEX. </font color>

Isn't that the one they use for hot water heat? Is it approved for fresh water supply? I for one am a fan of copper for reasons previously stated.
    Argee [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

The PEX used for heating usually has an oxygen barrier, otherwise, same stuff.

I went with copper. When I go into the better homes here, they are all plumbed with copper. Whether it's better or not, I don't know, but it seems to help at resale. When planning this thing, I kept in mind that someday I would want to sell and move on. So, I did a lot of things that would help someone else make up their mind to buy. (And a few that I wanted to do for myself. [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] )

Steve

I THINK COPPER IT WILL BE.[THANKS EVERYONE]

PEX is partially cross linked polyethelene (I think) It should not get long term exposure to the sun (UV). Some suppliers store stuff outside...

It goes real fast and is much more flexible than rigid PVC. You do not glue it. It is crimped with a set of crimpers for the size (diameter) you are using. It is very good stuff. Crimpers are available at Lowe's for about 1/2 a plumbing supply house price. It is extremely inert and when properly done should last essentially forever as it is not reactive like copper.

It is getting popular with some plumbers, even out here in the sticks.

Patrick
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"