Thread: Bird Feeders

Bird Feeders

Can anyone recommend a good bird feeder? We've tried several models from Duncraft (the place that delivers our bird food) and none of them have been satisfactory. Wooden ones were chewed to oblivion by squirrels and the plastic/metal ones haven't lasted.

Re: Bird Feeders

"Droll Yankees" by "The New Generation" works well for black oil sunflower seeds. The style I am using, is a 2 1/2 dia Stainless Steel mesh with metal endcaps.

Mike:

We've been quite happy with Duncraft feeders. We have:
    Metal Haven Thistle feeder
    Absolute II feeder
    Baffled Suet Feeder
    Magnum feeder
    Super cling-a-wing globe
    and two Woodpecker feeders.

We have the wrap around post squirrel baffles on all of our poles or we have used 4' diameter black PVC pipe about 8' high as a post and hung feeders from brackets at the top. The squirrel's can't climb a smooth hard surface that large in diameter.

Check out sweeney feeders for an all-metal squirrel-proof bird feeder.
    Fishman

sounds to me its not the birdfeeder but the squirrels....get a baffle for the poles like the others have said
    and make sure they cant get to it by jumping....if your new to feeding birds. keeping the squirrels
    away is most of the work....they are extremely smart and cunning adversaries,
    but if you cant beat em try feeding them also ....keep everyone happy.....if that dont work.....
    you ever have squirrel pie? not so bad...kinda tasty..actually
    good luck

Squirrels and coons destroyed all that we bought. I finall got some 2 inch pvc and closed off the bottom with hardware cloth/wire. That holds the seed and yet will let any water through that gets in from the feeding stations.

Then I drilled holes and glued in the small feeding stations from the destroyed commercial feeders. Put a 2 inch pvc cap on top with tie wire hanging from a branch. It is too small for squirrels to jump to. Took a week or so for the birds to figure it out but now they are using it.

It's funny to see the topic of birdfeeders come up (it seems I always get to a topic late). I just bought a small, lantern style feeder and pole and was wondering how close to put it to my kennel. The main reason I got it was to give the cats I board something to look at out the window, but I have been told on a kennel forum that they will attract mice, which in turn will attract snakes and they also can become quite messy depending on the birds they attract.
    If it's not right outside the window where the shrubs are, the next option is about 50 ft. away by the side of the driveway.
    How close do y'all have your feeders to your houses, buildings...?

Fred

Our bird garden is about 30-40 feet away from the house - except for the hummingbird feeder. Yes, they do make a mess - both in birdseed hulls and in bird - well - doo.

See attached

Our bird feeder was less than 10 feet from the edge of the patio; less than 20 feet from the house proper and never had any problem with that.

Hmmm, I know I replied to this earlier today. The reply button was even grayed out. Anyway, I ended up putting it by the edge of my driveway about 50 ft. from the kennel, 10 ft. from a pear tree and 20 ft. from the office window in my house. I can always move it if it doesn't work out and probably will come next winter so it doesn't interfere with my plowing. Who am I kidding, it's still THIS winter where I live [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

And... nice pic, Bill. That gives me some ideas for the trees along my creek that are viewable from the house.

Thanks again,
    Fred