Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Horses & Hay

Horses & Hay

I didn't know if I should post this in barns or here...

This time of year the grass isn't growing, and I am buying hay. I have 2 horses, and I usually buy square bales 60-80lb at $5.00 per bale. Seems like I am using 1/2 bale per day. I can buy a 1,000lb roll for $50.00. I have no place to put the roll, and some people have stated that if the horses are not used to unlimited hay, they can colic since the cut is longer than in a square bale...

My options are:

Buy a 10x10 or 10x16 metal canopy for $200 to $250, and put the round bale under it. Possible risk to horses health?

Continue buying square bales since I do not have too many horses.

I would like input on the risk of horses eating from round bales vs square... If any... And if a small metal canopy is the way to go?

My calculations:
    Consumption: Approx 30lb hay/day cost $2.50 x 30 = $75/mo
    Round bale: 1000lb/30 = 33 days is about $50/mo
    Monthly savings $25
    Return on canopy investment @ $200 would be 8-10 months.

Is the investment worth it??

Thanks,

Joe

Re: Horses & Hay

Don't know much about horses and hay, but... why would the round bales would need to be covered? Around here, they usually just let them sit outside uncovered. In fact, the neighbor has about a dozen bales sitting there now. It was my understanding that is why they went to round bales, because you could store them outside. Or, am I way off base?

Steve

Look into alfalfa cubes from Colrado or wherever. They run about 15% protien and are of consistant quality. I used them down there because of the inconsistant quality of the hay available.

In Florida we get plenty of rain, which creates mold and mildew in the hay. That's why most people in the FL area cover it, so it doesn't get wet.

Joe R.

I can pretty much guarantee you you're going to waste at least 25% of that hay. You are going to need to buy a roundbale feeder as well. Also the horses will eat more with free choice hay. IT"S NOT GOING TO CAUSE colic though. It won't hurt them at all. If you are only going to save $25 a month going to round bales though it isn't worth it.

With regard to getting a metal canopy this is a definite nono with horses. They will kick through and cause some serious damage. If you're building it to only house the hay and the horses will not have access to it then you will be ok.

Lastly if you are going to feed off of the bale everyday it's a pain. Much more work than just pulling off a flake of hay and throwing it over the fence.

Due to the selective eating habits some of the waste hay may be lying there for long periods and could get mouldy just from the damp environment. Means you got to clean out the feeder regulary.
    How are you fixed equipment wise for hauling and handling large round bales?

Egon

Ahhh.. 25% waste! That I did not figure.

Cowboydoc: Do you leave your bales in the open? How long before the bales go bad? Do the horses graze less or does it help reduce over grazing? The reason I ask, is that I am going to be implementing a ton of pasture work. Lime, re-seeding, etc... This means a great deal of the pasture will not be usable until I get them re-established, so I need a contigency plan for the horses.

Egon: I have a class 1, 27hp diesel tractor. I use it extensively when I clean out the stalls. The front end loader is a great tool!!! If I go the round bale route, I am going to visit TBN for ideas for a bale spear to go onto the FEL.

Thanks,

Joe R.

Yes all of our bales are left in the open. They are net wrapped which helps. They will usually last quite awhile out in the open though. I don't know if we have as much moisture as you but we get quite alot.

My experience is that it won't prevent the horses from grazing. They will still want to go eat the grass instead of hay for the most part. Usually they will just leave the hay if they have grass. Your best bet there is to pen them up with the hay. Then let them out for controlled grazing. If you don't do this you will never get your pasture going. In the beginning your grass won't have roots strong enough to keep the horses from pulling the roots and all out of the ground.

As far as a 27 hp tractor I don't know if that's going to be big enough to move round bales. At the very least you're going to have to get a bale mover on the back as well to keep your tractor from tipping over. Check the max. loader rec. You can go over this some but be careful you don't bend your cylinders.

I had someone tell me that they don't like the round bales because they are dustier than square bales. Has anybody else heard of this, or is it just a localized phenomena?

Steve

Just curious as to how many acres of pasture you are talking about?
    Note: I never give answers, just ask questions!

Egon