Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Horses & Hay

Re: Horses & Hay

No problem on the questions... 8 acres of acidic soil. I need to spread 2,200lbs of lime per acre to get the pH normal. Once that is complete, I should be able to grow Bahia.

Joe R.

Definitely true.

Joe,

If you get the lime on now maybe you can have a crop this summer. Standard advice I hear is 6 months for lime to reach its full benefit. That puts you mid summer.
    If memory serves bahia is a warm season grass and it works well when planted in early spring. Maybe in late summer you will have a descent stand.

Just don't follow my example and get one of those 40,000-50,000 lb lime trucks out in the middle of a soft pasture (see attached).
    We have two seasons on the ranch; dust and mud.
    What seems solid with a compact or utility tractor can still be quick sand for one of these guys.

Fred

Cambridge, New York in beautiful Washington County, next to Vermont

We grow and bale hay with our neighbors. Last year our neighbors decided to have some of the hay round baled, so right now we're using round and square bales. We put tarps over the round bales, and put them up on a few wooden pallets to keep them off the ground for storage. Around here (upstate New York) they get moldy pretty quickly when they get wet. As Cowboydoc said, AT LEAST 25% will be wasted. And you do need a big tractor to move them around. I use a bale spear on the loader of my Oliver 1550 which is a pretty big tractor. A smaller tractor would definitely need a counter weight.

At least with our horses, there's a lot of waste with round bales. They pull hay out of the middle, and throw a lot on the ground, which they trample and won't touch. I guess a round bale feeder would help that situation, but I'm not going to invest in one until we decide if we're going to make more round bales next year.
    Rich
    "What a long strange trip it's been."

Hey Joe:

My horse was on round bales that where kept under cover. The hay got mold and as a result my horse now is on medicine for the rest of his life (he has a condition called Heaves) this comes from mold. It's not worth it believe me.

I am very careful about anything with mold on it - including hay cubes, hay, sweetfeed - believe me all of them can have it. So my experience with MOLD has been a very costly one not only for me financially but my horse's health as well.

J.

JoeR:

shadowruner:
    <font color="blue">My horse was on round bales that where kept under cover. The hay got mold and as a result my horse now is on medicine for the rest of his life (he has a condition called Heaves) this comes from mold. It's not worth it believe me.

I am very careful about anything with mold on it - including hay cubes, hay, sweetfeed - believe me all of them can have it. So my experience with MOLD has been a very costly one not only for me financially but my horse's health as well </font color>

read this........I live in Florida too and throw away bales of hay when they get moldy and it happens in the barn without getting wet.....you know what I'm talking about it's called hummidy (spl*) do not period feed this hay to your horses.....if they can do it in other states fine...but not in Florida

Whiskey

HaHa Memory lane. In an earlier life I drove these trucks spreading fertilizer. One day I was bootin along in my world,s biggest doonbuggy and it felt like the underside of the truck disappeared. Out in the middle of nowhere I had dropped it down to the frame in dry soil. Turns out the owners had leveled the buildings, filled in the foundations and were tilling right through.The ground had not settled yet though and I drove over where the house had been. Boy did they laugh at me, I was kind of mad because I had to walk a couple miles to call for a tow.This was the days before cell phones.Thinking back I sure did love that job except for the long hours in springtime. Longest two week pay period was 159.5 hrs.

Round bales are for cattle. Horses just need better hay than cattle. If you try to save money on hay with round bales, a vet bill is going to come around and wipe it away.