Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Portable router table?

Re: Portable router table?

Al,

I bought my husband the new DeWalt 618 with fixed and plunge router base.

Thanks!

Rhonda

gosh, Rhonda, do you think we can set up a schedule for you to discuss tolls and their absolute necessity to OUR wives?
    I think if I suggested buying ANOTHER tool, I'd have my head in my hands .... so if you could convince her to buy them for me .... well ... we'd certainly be able to justify consultants wages for you, wouldn't we [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

pete
    it's a shame that common sense isn't

DeWalt 618, boy do you know how to shop. The soft start feature is really cool.

I talked with "Router Guy" at Rockler and he assured me the table comes with a plate specifically designed for the DeWalt 618 plunge router. They also offer a blank plate which can be fitted to routers which they do not offer plates. My Rockler store did not sell the DeWalt, so I was not able to do a fit check of the router and the plate. The specific plate for your router is a part of the deal at no additional charge for the table. I have had very good experience with Rockler on customer satisfaction issues. I purchased a dovetail jig which, from my view was unsatisfactory, I returned it "used one time" with no problems. Ended up with the porter Cable jig which is a "good one" (put this on the list for his Valentines day present and for Washingtons birthday add...... and for add ......)
    Good Luck, and you can shop for me any day.

Pete,

I don't know why wives don't buy tools for their hubbies. They are totally cool play things....I mean tools.

As for the consulting fee, let me think of what other tools I'll be needing advice on at some point such as planers and such. [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

Take care!

Rhonda

Al,

I appreciate you obtaining the information! Should you ever need a tool researched, just let me know and I'll be glad to help out. Though I like the Bench Dog, I'm going to order the Rockler in the next few days. For our purposes, it seems to fit the bill without killing the pocketbook.

Thanks again.

Rhonda

One of my first router projects was a wooden box for the bits. White birch. Metal corners. Foam padding. Nothing's too good for my routers and bits. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Pete

Do you keep this box in the local banks safety deposit section?

Egon

Just a thought Tractorgirl, do you and your husband own a table saw? Why not just drill a hole in on of the extension wings and mount it there. That way you could utilize the fence from your tablesaw for router work. Some tablesaws come with that sort of feature built in.
    Argee [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Hmmmmm.......

We don't have a tablesaw yet but you have an interesting idea. Thanks for the good idea. It's definitely something to chew on as we will need a tablesaw.

Good idea ... since they don't have a table saw! When I was at the home & garden show here last year, Sears was showing off one of the craftsman tablesaws that had that exact feature ... and I was sorely tempted ... but the fact that I'd just spent over $400 on a new fence system for my table saw made it hard to convince the wife ...
    We all have a problem with shop space (even me with 24 x 32) and getting dual use out of a big tool is a great idea.
    it's a shame that common sense isn't